Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Netgear wireless software screws my PC

This is a discussion on Netgear wireless software screws my PC within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Well a bit, Got the Netgear WG111v2 from Sky which has their version 2 software with it. After some difficulty ...

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Netgear wireless software screws my PC

Well a bit,
      Got the Netgear WG111v2 from Sky which has their version 2 software with it.
      After some difficulty got it working, changed channel and turned upnp off.
      When shutting down the PC got a dropdown menu instead of the normal 3 radio buttons, could not do a user switch and windows informed me the fault was down to Rtlgina.dll.
      Apparantley this is a well known problem on some forums, I just wondered if anyone else had had problems and/or a fix.

2. Advertisement
      sassylady is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWKLAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Netgear wireless software screws my PC

New computer, problem setting start up screen. - Dev Shed
      (google search result)
      Try as this site says and uninstall adaptor and use windows to configure and see if that helps?
      Rosie
      12591 kb/s Download 579 kb/s upload

hermann is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stockport
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

That software messed up my PC but there is a fix for this and I've written a thread a while ago here: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/netwo...-conflict.html

Call SKY and say that they sent you the WG111v2 when they should have sent the WG111T version like they did for other SKY users you know. This is what I did and they admitted it was their mistake and replaced it for free with the faster T model that has no XP conflicts. I just had to use the freepost address to return the v2 model - doesn't matter if you used it.
      Last edited by hermann; 09-02-07 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, Ill try and get it replaced.

Three Quarters of a hour later..............................

I had forgotten what a pain it is getting sense out of Customer support/Tech Tier 1.
      Tech support " O software I'll xfer you to CS
      CS Took all details and xfer back to Tech support
      Tech What make is PC, Compac ring them !!! ffs!
      O well give Netgear Tech support a ring 0870 1121 206.

I rang off and installed the adapter using the windows wizard, uses the realtek driver.
      No log in screw up, and the connection is nice and stable, the only this is the LED on the adapter is ON and goes OFF when data is being xferred.

Might give Sky another bell as I'd prefer the 108Mb adapter.
      Last edited by penrhyn; 09-02-07 at 04:32 PM.

intheknow! is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

non Sky pc, non Sky software should Sky give u support for something that aint there product.?

bit like calling Nike to complain about the range of sausages in Asda and expecting them to sort it for you,

same situ with Outlook Express issues, its a Microsoft product, Sky aint been passed by Mr Gates and co to deal with this, hence Sky dont touch it!

Thanks

There is a known fault with the software associated with the wireless adapter.
      The Netgear router has 'Sky' software on it, so I would expect them to take responsibility for the complete package.
      I doubt I am the only person who has had a problem with the W111v2, I would of expected them to offer to swap it out for the WG111T that does not have the incompatability issue with Windows XP.

Thanks

To be honest, I wouldn't go down the route of trying to ask SKY for help in fixing this. The logon fix I linked to before returned my default .dll away from the rtlgina.dll - did you apply that? No matter which adapter you go on to use, the default logon .dll does need to be restored. On the netgear forum, one of the moderator's actually linked to that fix so I know they realise there's an issue.

Your best bet is definitely to call the freephone number, not any branches of the paid numbers and not to mention the software issues since they'll ship you to technical people who probably won't help anyway. I just spoke to a normal customer service person and said the model they shipped me is not the WG111T that they sent other people. The T got dispatched and I received it within a few days... on the invoices for both models, it lists the same item number so it's simply a mistake they sent the v2 to you. And if they say they can't help, get out of the convo and try calling back... someone you speak to will just arrange the swap. It's well worth having the faster model - look at my speed difference in my signature!

In relation to the Nike and Asda comment, I don't think it's the same really?! In that instance you're talking about unassociated products and companies so of course there's no reason for Nike to help with your Asda sausages.

In this case, Netgear is the manufacturer and SKY the 'seller' - if my understanding of the law is correct, the seller has a responsibilty to provide goods (no matter the manufacturer) which are not faulty and are up to scratch for the purpose provided.
      Last edited by hermann; 09-02-07 at 09:18 PM.

intheknow! is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

are u talking about the dongle or the actual software for it?

Thanks

The software for the dongle, which in the case of the WG111v2 is version 2.

I didn't try the fix, a bit wary of going near the registry, so I plugged the adapter in and let windows find a driver for it, and it worked, and didn't change the PC log in.
      Last edited by penrhyn; 09-02-07 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks

Ah good, as long as it's ok! I was worried about altering the registry too so only recommended it since it was so easy to use and it worked. Do try get the swap though if you can stand the wait on the phone!

If you ever need to use the fix, I'll just let you know how it works... basically it runs in two parts:

1) You open the program and it detects which .dll is in use, the default one or rtlgina - it does not alter the settings or registry at this point.

2) If it detects it's running rtlgina rather than the right one, it gives you the option to fix - obviously if you choose to fix it then it does change it back to the right one and you need to reboot for it to take effect.

Anyway, glad you're somewhat sorted it seems... all the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast