Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Netgear wireless software screws my PC

This is a discussion on Netgear wireless software screws my PC within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; WG111T Support Page try downloading version 1.3 for the dongle from netgear site, cant see anything for the WG111v2 dongle. ...

intheknow! is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Netgear wireless software screws my PC

WG111T Support Page

try downloading version 1.3 for the dongle from netgear site, cant see anything for the WG111v2 dongle.

for the non support of some products, if its not a sky usb adapter that on a wireless issue call, and its a wireless enabled laptop, do u expect sky to tell someone how to disable the security on the wireless enabled laptop when its not ours? it is related for broadband, wirleless but we aint gonna touch it as we dont support that, thats for the laptop manufacturers to deal with.

yes we supply the prodcuts, support the router, the sky usb adapter but will only give generic advice on other wireless adapters/cards and programs such as OE.

the products supplied such as router for a wirless enabled laptop can be checked to be working going thru router settings page connected with ethernet cable to rule out the wireless being fecked on the router, if all fine there, then its prob with the wireless enabled part of laptop which aint skys product so we cant give full teh support.

so your quote " the seller has a responsibilty to provide goods (no matter the manufacturer) which are not faulty and are up to scratch for the purpose provided." in the above example is correct so sky have kept to their side.

2. Advertisement
      hermann is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stockport
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

You're saying that SKY cannot give anything other than generic advice for the products they don't provide. I'm not saying otherwise.

You also say they can't help with things like settings on laptops etc. Again, I'm not saying they should.

My point is that SKY supports the products they provide - the router made by Netgear. SKY also provided the WG111v2 Netgear adapter to both Penrhyn and myself. Because of the software shipped with the SKY provided adapter, our computers encountered problems. Does SKY make the adapter? No. But then they don't make the router either yet they do support that. The software has a known conflict with XP. The seller should know this.

I'm not saying SKY are responsible for things they do not sell or should have to help people with their laptops... this has nothing to do with that.

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Got myself a laptop which needed the Netgear wireless adapter, loaded up the software and guess what login royally screwed again.
      This time I used your link to fix it Herrmann, works a treat! I bet there are others out there still scratching their heads.

Fix Windows® XP Logon/Restore Welcome Screen

Cheers

Russ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Bridge (ESLVB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER115
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

The WG111v2 is 54 Mpbs whereas the wg111T is 108. You should have called Sky and asked them to send out the right adaptor which they would have done. It connects ok with no conflicts even when using the netgear connection wizard.

If you keep the wg111v2 try this > Update your driver/utility to version 2.0 or later and set your router to “802.11g mode” ONLY in order to connect properly to the router. from the netgear support website WG111 Installation Problems

ok i should have read it properly u fixed it...oops! lol
      Last edited by Russ; 30-04-07 at 03:55 PM. Reason: added the bit about reading the post properly, see what lack of sleep does for u on nightshift!

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

I did attempt to get them to change it, but I got worn down by customer service not understanding the problem, so did the fix.
      I guess I should have been more persistent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12