Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection drops when downloading using P2P software

This is a discussion on Connection drops when downloading using P2P software within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have taken up a Sky broadband connection 3 months ago, and my connection has always been stable using both ...

kabalman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connection drops when downloading using P2P software

I have taken up a Sky broadband connection 3 months ago, and my connection has always been stable using both the wired and the wireless way. Recently I have tried to download music legally using P2P software (Azureus) and I have noticed that the wireless connection drops every 5 minutes or so. I have to reconnect every time and the new connection does not last long either. I tried to use Azureus using the ethernet connection and it works fine.

Any ideas why this is happening? My connection drops only when running Azureus or other P2P software.

I use a Linksys Wireless Network Adaptor WUSB54G V4.1 with my Sky Netgear Router.

I have tried to untick UnPnP, setup Port forwarding etc, but still the connection drops. Any help will be very much appreciated as I can't seem to find a way around this problem.

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Connection drops when downloading using P2P software

Hello kabalman and welcome to Skyuser.

The wireless connection does not know about such high-level things as peer to peer, so it won't be p2p per se that you are having problem with. More likely, it is the fact that your p2p software is the one that is "stressing" the wireless connection. Try downloading a large (very large) file over FTP and see if that also causes wireless to bomb out. I expect it to, in which case we've ruled out p2p being the problem.
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, thanks for the advice. Can you please tell me how I can download using ftp? Do you want me to download a very large file from the internet thru ftp (how do I do it?), or do you want me to ftp some large files between 2 computers connected to my home network wirelessly?

Any further information will be very much appreciated.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Certainly. Any large download will do, I just suggested FTP because, well, it sprang to mind at the time! You can do it over the Internet or locally, but I guess the former would be more accurate. Some file chosen at random (well, from a site that offers high bandwidth downloads) like this maybe: ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/excha...r/Sp3_55XA.EXE
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can you pass me a link for any other large file. I tried this one, but it doesn't get downloaded and I tried to find this in the ftp.microsoft,com website, and I don't know if this link is valid.

Any other file that I can try will be great. Thanks.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, I've just tested the link and it works fine for me. Try right clicking on it and selecting Save Target As...