Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

How do you set up a laptop to connect to Broadband via Wireless?

This is a discussion on How do you set up a laptop to connect to Broadband via Wireless? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have contacted Sky due to my lack of IP address. After 6 days and more than 6 hours on ...

Graham R is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01788
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

How do you set up a laptop to connect to Broadband via Wireless?

I have contacted Sky due to my lack of IP address. After 6 days and more than 6 hours on phone I managed to get an IP address.

However, they would not explain to me how to utilise my internal HP network adapter as I was not purchasing theirs.

I have established a network connection via the ethernet cable, however, I an lost when it comes to getting the adapter to look for wireless. How do you configure it?

My network adapter name is HP WLAN 802.11a/b/g W500

Can somebody please reply in Laymans terms with an explanation of what I need to do?

Many thanks

Graham

2. Advertisement
      dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: How do you set up a laptop to connect to Broadband via Wireless?

hi go into network connections [start -control panel-network conecctions]check for wireleess networks [use windows wizard and it'll set u up ]

Graham R is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01788
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

Many thanks for prompt reply. As you might gather not very computer savy!

I have actually established the Wireless Connection Icon but it just says not connected. When I click on the View Wirless Connections, I click on the Sky one, it trys to establish a link but falls over everytime.

It must be be looking up info from somewhere, my problem is I dont know where to look to correct the info its getting?

Dont mean to waste your time, but if you could help very much appreciated

Graham

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

have you allowed wep the encoding [basically the router is looking for a code [the sky key] is what makes ur laptop secure [no code no access [i have stopped using wireless so am a bit rusty ]hen u open up your wireless network ,try refresh it should find ur router when it asks for the wep put in the sky one and see what happens if nothing try this
      go into router settins [www.192.168.0.1 is the usual one ]user name admin password sky [change this to one that suits u] wireless settings
      make sure enable wireless access point is ticked,and allow ssid ,also that ur router security settings are set to wpa-psk and refresh wireless network retry ur network [hope this works [as i said i'm a bit rusty since i've done awy with my wireless [have ran an eithernet cable to my outside office [ie the shed ]