Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection Drop outs

This is a discussion on Connection Drop outs within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I have a bit of a problem with my wireless connection. I have a netgear WG311v3 pci adaptor and ...

Don Clayton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Harrowden, Wellingborough
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connection Drop outs

Hi,

I have a bit of a problem with my wireless connection.
      I have a netgear WG311v3 pci adaptor and is all set up correctly - previously used it via a netgear router for AOL (same one as sky) without any connection problems at all. when i have a connection, everything is fine and then all of a sudden the adaptor drops the connection and starts scanning. it will find it again and connect. this will then happen every ten seconds or so. After this has happened and the connection is reastablished, i still can't get a page up via internet explorer. i have to reboot the computer and start again. this action only sometimes gets me going again.
      I have checked connection via the yellow ethernet cable and no problems so it's not the router or the sky broadband service. it must be something to do with the adaptor or my pc.
      i have tried a number of things:
      turning of UPnP - no solution
      re-installing driver for adaptor - no solution
      changing channels - 6 to 11 - no solution
      changing / lowering security settings - no solution
      moving the router closer - same problem - even with the router right next to the pc (after moving the pc down stairs and setting up there)
      i am at a loss for ideas about what to do now so any help with this would be great before i go and buy a million metres of ethernet cable and run it all around the house (i don't really want to do this - neither does the misses!!!!)

Thanks in advance

Don

2. Advertisement
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Connection Drop outs

i think i have sorted it out now.

I had the software for the pci adaptor card as the default program to configure the connection. I tried setting up a new network configuration and allowing Windows to configure the settings. Now i have a perfect connection with no drop outs at all. AT LAST!!!!!
      I haven't figured out why this is the case but not going to worry about it now that the connection is sorted.

If anybody has any thoughts about this, please add to this thread to assist others who could be suffering the same problem.

Cheers,

Don (very relieved)

ibrahim9140 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i haave kind of similar problem my connection drops out when i use p2p soft lyk utorrent can u tell me what u did exact plzzzzzzzzzzz
      Last edited by Saturday; 06-02-07 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Removed full quote of preceding post

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes,

I un-installed the software for the pci adaptor and reloaded it. Whilst installing, It automatically asked me if i wanted windows to configure the settings or let the Netgear adaptor card software do it - selected by clicking one or the other. Now i did this two times and selected the netgear adaptor option first - same disconnection problems occurred later on.
      The second time i selected windows to configure the settings - Connection sorted, all visable connections nearby are viewable in 'open all connections' tab (right click on the connection tab normally bottom right of screen) - with my connection being selected by default.
      I don't know if it will be the same process for you, suppose it depends on your wireless set up. I just persisted until i found a solution.

Hope it helps.

Don

ibrahim9140 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thx for the response but i have got Netgear DG834GT Router it duzn't have any card
      Last edited by Saturday; 06-02-07 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Removed full quote of preceding post