Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Belkin modem challenge!

This is a discussion on Belkin modem challenge! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hello all.... I, like many people have been stuck in the hell of trying to on Sky customer service. Having ...

guy2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Belkin modem challenge!

hello all....

I, like many people have been stuck in the hell of trying to on Sky customer service. Having been trying to get Sky to send me a modem since last november (my line is active - at least they tell me it is)... I have finally realised this will never happen.

I have bought my own modem, an ADSL 2+ Belkin G, because i have seen many posts, here and on other sites, saying it is possible to use your own modem.

I cannot get it to work.

Here is what i have done.... are theany people out there, who say this can be done, see anything else I should be doing, anything i am missing out, have any advice, or know of any spec sheet, of website I can go to to find out how to do it.

ok.....

1) powered up modem, powered up pc, connected modem to pc

2) typed in modem address, entered set up wizzard, typed in below:-

ISP: other
      connection type: PPPoA
      username: admin
      password: sky
      IP assigned by ISP: YES
      VPI/VCI: 0/38
      Encapsulation: VC MUX
      MTU: 1454 ?????

is the anything else I need to do next... probably??

and I never see the little green light on the modem for internet... if you see something, please if you can, tell me how to to do it to.

please help me - my girlfriend is out of a job at the moment, and she really needs to get on line to look for a job.

2. Advertisement
      sassylady is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWKLAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Belkin modem challenge!

There have been many posts and you may note that you need the hidden password details from the Netgear Sky router. The password and log in of admin and sky is only to connect you to log on page of the Netgear router. So you will still need a router from Sky, sorry. Also you would technically be in breach of T&C to use another router.
      Rosie
      12591 kb/s Download 579 kb/s upload

guy2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i have been trying to get a modem since november.... I have been stuck in a data fix issue since the start of december, and sky cannot tell me when that will end....

i would believe that it is sky who are in breach, as they have already charged me money for a service they are not providing.

sorry - i know you are only trying to help.... but i have lost all hope, and am losing money as my work is continuing to suffer by no internet connection, and not being able to tell clients when i will have internet connection.

i would get the mac codes and quit sky, but i read post after post, how that just puts you in another unending loop of misinformation and sky inactivity/non-conformity.

hermann is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stockport
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

My sympathies to you. Sounds like a terrible situation you're in but unfortunately as has been pointed out, you can't just hook up another router as the Sky-supplied router has the network key specific to it.

All you can do is keep phoning the freephone number and try to get to a manager and don't let them fob you off with excuses.

From personal experience of when things go wrong, it seems like a neverending and disheartening cycle of misinformation and long waits while they transfer you to another person who tells you a totally different story and doesn't seem able to do anything. In fact, the last person I spoke to with my troubles tried passing me to the people who are supposed to help and she told me 'no-one wants to take your call, this is really disgraceful!' 38 minutes on the phone for nothing but at least she echoed my thoughts - but fancy an employee feeling that way, nevermind the customer!

Sadly, you've just got to keep trying... or it really might be quicker to give up on them, get the code and change? I know companies have issues, but surely it's not even lawful to take money and then not provide the equipment?