Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Advice needed please

This is a discussion on Advice needed please within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; At present my connection is via ethernet cable on an extension that is not very good. Very crackly on phone. ...

LyndyLou is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rayleigh (EARAY)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Question Would I Improve Speed If I Went Wireless

At present my connection is via ethernet cable on an extension that is not very good. Very crackly on phone. Modem syncs at approx 6500 and I assume this is because of poor wiring on extension. Phone plugged into main socket results in very clear line.If I connected wirelessly to master phone socket do you think I would get better download speeds or would I be wasting my money bying a dongle to do this.
      Last edited by LyndyLou; 26-01-07 at 12:43 PM.

2. Advertisement
      snake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Would I Improve Speed If I Went Wireless

Nope as a matter of fact your connection would be as best as it could ever be without that extension. Extension leads cause all sorts of problems on a DSL line they can cause drop out connections, slow speeds and as with urself problems with ur telephone. Try removing the extension plugging your grey cable into the modem part of the microfilter that is plugged into your master socket and plug your sky tv double adapter into the phone part of that microfilter and your telephone into one end of that adapter. You can either go wireless or u can get a longer ethernet cable from any computer store in your area. Ethernet cables can be up to 325 feet. Do it this way and you won't have anymore problems with your connection Let me know how it goes and if there is anything there you don't understand let me know that aswell and i will explain a little more to your understanding
      Last edited by Saturday; 27-01-07 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Removed full quote of preceding post

LyndyLou is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rayleigh (EARAY)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Advice needed please

Thanks for the reply.
      Long etheret cable is not an option. Pc not wireless so will get a dongle to try wireless option.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Advice needed please

Hi Lyndy

If I were you I would connect the router to the master socket and get some of these Plug and Play Mains Network Kit they are well worth it and will give you a more reliable connection and probably less trouble than a wireless connection.

I have now done away with my wireless network and have 4 PC's connected using these
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here