Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Dongle or PCI, advice pls.

This is a discussion on Dongle or PCI, advice pls. within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi folks, After almost 4 years of trying I’m finally able to receive “broadband” speeds thanks to SKY unbundling my ...

deskmonkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bishop Auckland
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Dongle or PCI, advice pls.

Hi folks,

After almost 4 years of trying I’m finally able to receive “broadband” speeds thanks to SKY unbundling my local exchange (Bishop Auckland), previously I’ve lived too far away from the exchange – which is why I’ve chosen the engineer installation option…just in case.

I know it won’t be as fast as the majority of you but at least it’ll be faster than the 44kps I have at present J

Anyway installation is due mid Feb and I am wondering if there was any difference in speeds/reception etc between a wireless dongle and a wireless PCI card?

I’ve read in the forums that the SKY dongle is good value, would you recommend this or are there benefits to fitting a card into the base unit instead?

Finally, if I do go for the sky dongle, do I purchase it from the engineer when he arrives or do I need to get one beforehand?

Thanks

Deskmonkey

2. Advertisement
      hermann is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stockport
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Dongle or PCI, advice pls.

I can't advise as to which is better to choose since I have only used the USB dongle myself, but you can order it over the phone from Sky and it will be sent to you in the post.

If you're going to get it from Sky, I would do that asap so it's with you before the engineer arrives. I would also ask which USB dongle they will be sending you since many people seem to have been sent the WG111T adapter which is 108 Mbps, whereas I was sent one a couple of weeks ago for my order which is the WG111v2 and 54 Mbps. So I'm thinking, the T version is the one you really want to be receiving!

I was on dialup too until Sky Broadband and even on a dongle in the furthest room from the router, I am getting download speeds of 1300 - 1700kpbs which doesn't even compare to the agony of dialup. Through the cable, my speeds are (liisted) below so it's a massive difference.

Good luck with it all!
      Last edited by hermann; 27-01-07 at 01:44 AM.

deskmonkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bishop Auckland
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Dongle or PCI, advice pls.

Thank you for finding the time to reply to my query. I think I'll order the dongle from Sky on Monday morning.

All the best and have a good weekend.

deskmonkey

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

I got the WG311t WG311T - NETGEAR.com (the PCI equiv of the USB) from staples for less than £10 at xmas!!!!

Personally i find PCI more reliable than the USB (always pick PCI over USB)... however I did find that I needed to relocate the antenna on the card to reduce interfereance from the PC componenets

snake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deskmonkey View Post
      Thank you for finding the time to reply to my query. I think I'll order the dongle from Sky on Monday morning.

All the best and have a good weekend.

deskmonkey
      Well if u really want to keep urself rite i would purchase the netgear wg111t of sky as if there is any problems wif ur pci card u can't really go to sky for technical support as they only support there own adapter. The wireless adapter is very easy installed and there is a guide to doing it and some engineers believe it or not would actually bring u an adapter and the software out wif them if they know u want to go wireless. PCI cards are great yes but very few of them work with the new WPA-PSK encryption which is what skys security encryption is so therefore u will have to go through the hassle to changing it to WEP. But all in all its up to u man which u choose.