Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problem connecting to Sky router

This is a discussion on Problem connecting to Sky router within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi there, My father in law has just got Sky broadband, and asked me to set it up for him. ...

Pistol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Problem connecting to Sky router

Hi there,

My father in law has just got Sky broadband, and asked me to set it up for him. I got him a Netgear WG111 usb adapter, as I like to stick to gear from the same manufacturer where possible, and figured it would make things easiest...

Anyhow, his line was activated OK, the lights on the router seem to indicate that all is dandy, wireless adapter installed itself OK - but I've been unable to establish a stable connection. In fact, it only ever managed to connect once, for about 5 minutes.

Using the software that came with the Netgear USB adapter, it detects the SSID all right, and even gets a signal strength reading and everything. However, the status bar just stays at 'scanning'. When it did connect, it got extremely slow speeds (despite claiming and excellent signal strength!), downloaded a couple of windows updates, then lost the connection.

Fortunately, the USB adapter also detects a neighbour's unsecured wireless connection which it will quite happily connect to without problems! So I was at least able to download the critical Windows security updates. However, leeching somebody else's connection is obviously only a very temporary solution until I can get the situation fixed!

What I want to know is what I can try in order to sort this out, as I don't get a lot of time to help him out and I'm having to use someone else's internet to do it! Things I thought I could try:
      1) Move router and USB adapter to better positions (even though signal is claimed to be excellent)
      2) Log in to the router and verify all settings (even though it has connected successfully once...)
      3) Try changing the channel in case something is causing interference - the neighbour's wireless which he can pick up is on channel 11, his sky is set to channel 6 (which channels are good to use?)

2. Advertisement
      darling is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Elstree
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Problem connecting to Sky router

I had a very similar problem. I could connect to other routers using a WG111 but not the Sky one. In the end I solved it by changing the channel on the Sky router from 6 to 11 and everything was OK.

Pistol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Problem connecting to Sky router

Moving the router out from behind the telly solved the problem in the end