Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wireless Router Problem

This is a discussion on Wireless Router Problem within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I use a belkin adaptor but it switches off when I switch off the PC and I have to get ...

mchow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01509
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless Router Problem

I use a belkin adaptor but it switches off when I switch off the PC and I have to get windows to repair it every time I switch on. What is the difference between WPA and WEP?

2. Advertisement
      snake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Difference between WEP and WPA is really how old the security encryption is. WEP is an older version of security encryption where as WPA is a newer version which is meant to be more secure. Naturally when u power down your PC your adapter is going to power down aswell because there is no power getting to it. As far as you having to always repair your adapter everytime you turn ur PC back on again that could be a number of problems. Try to uninstall the software and reinstalling it back onto ur PC again and start from scratch if that doesn't work you could maybe try changing the channel to a different channel in your router settings page. Just open a webpage delete the contents out of the address bar type in 192.168.0.1 and it will ask you for a username and password. The username is admin and the password is sky. When you go in there you will see "wireless settings" to the left hand side of your page click on that and that will bring you into another page where you can change your channel and where u can change ur encryption to WEP if need be

mchow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01509
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that. When things work I am always very afraid to meddle as I don't know too much about computers. For the time being I will continue to repair my connection on boot up as I know everything will work. But if I have more problems I have printed off your instructions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

taposh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,
      Aplogies for jumping on this thread, but I am getting similar problems to these guys.

My BB router is connected to my PC fine (using ethernet) and my wifes laptop wirelessly.
      The laptop had been using WPA and was fine until last week.

Now with WPA connectivity the laptop finds the router and connects OK (Signal Strenght Excellent etc) but I can't get the internet.

I can't even get the connection or internet if I disable the Security Option. I have tried connecting using WEP.

I have generated a key using a passphrase. Now to use WEP, do I try and connect the laptop as normal, and when asked for a Network Key use the key I generated ?? If so where should the laptop use the passphrase I used to get the key ?

Would appreciate any suggestions.
      Thanks,
      Taposh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12