Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

And then my PC died...

This is a discussion on And then my PC died... within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I'm new to Connect and had got my laptop (this is what I am typing on) connected via the cable ...

hermann is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stockport
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

And then my PC died...

I'm new to Connect and had got my laptop (this is what I am typing on) connected via the cable and my PC in another room connected by the Netgear WG111v2 USB sold to me by Sky.

Everything was working okay for a week but yesterday I was struggling to keep a connection and then it was telling me of ip conflicts and that it couldn't renew ips etc. I went into the router and set my laptop and the PC their own ips and all was well for a while.

Today the connection died and I tried repairing the connection, rebooting the router etc and since it didn't help, I tried uninstalling the USB stuff using its own wizard which prompted XP to start freezing up and hang. I managed to boot up and finish the un-install, rebooted and installed the software again. For the next hour of so while the software was on my PC, my whole comp kept freezing up. When I disabled the Netgear software from running actively, the PC worked fine.

So I began thinking there must be some conflict going on with XP or something (I'm not technically gifted as you can tell!) and decided to reboot my PC and go start reading up on the net using my laptop.

When I got back to the PC, it had basically died - I couldn't get past the black bios screens / start up screen. Since I didn't really have much on my PC I decided to try reinstall XP, set the PC to boot from CDrom in setup, and put the disk in... rebooted it and nothing happened, apart from I can't get the disc out now.

On the bright side, I needed a new computer - it was a P3 933mhz with 864ram and 6 years old. I found someone on Amazon commenting that their PC froze up after installing these drivers and they're now awaiting a tech to go and fix it... but I still guess we're the minority in terms of this happening.
      Last edited by hermann; 22-01-07 at 03:00 AM.

2. Advertisement
      snake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: And then my PC died...

Wow that must be the most amazing way i have seen a computer just pack in like that lol. Well mate wat you should of done if you whern't receiving a ip address and you where getting an ip conflict was you should of went to "start" then went to "run" then type in "cmd" then type in there "ip release" then after that type in "ip renew" if this didn't work you should of shut your pc down completely turned your router of for 30 seconds pulling the power led out of the back then turn your router on for a further 30 seconds and after that turn your pc back on again then everything should of worked fine. Anyone ever get a limited or no connectivity on there broadband service follow step 2
      Last edited by SatDish; 27-01-07 at 02:25 AM. Reason: no need to include quote

hermann is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stockport
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I got it back working now thankfully although, as I say, I did order a new PC as this is over 6 years old (and I do actually need one to record my music on so it's all good in the end).

The ip conflict seem to be resolved when I went into the router from my laptop and assigned ip numbers to each computer I had hooked up.

The real problem that sent it really screwy was the conflict with the latest driver for the WG111v2 and XP - (Netgear has supposedly rectified it in their new beta release). There are plenty of people on the net saying they have major issues because of the driver and I saw one person on Amazon reviewing this USB by saying it cost $40 to buy but cost them their whole PC as it no longer works!

Anyway, all working now and just missing a CDrom drive heh. The Cdrom drive was cracked apart as catharsis and I retrieved my XP disc. Can't wait for the new PC to be built and arrive!

snake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Man count yourself very lucky you haven't got an annoying problem i have which might i add took me 2 hours to fix 1 problem that has just lead to an annoyin one. Basically i have 2 hard drives in my computer 1 a master and 1 a slave. When i tried to stick a jumper into the master drive and leave a jumper out of the slave as it should be the computer wouldn't boot for me kept telling me the ide drives where installed wrong. So i then took the jumper out and changed the bio to boot off the slave and guess wat it actually worked lolll so i now call my computer the "backwards computer" lol. My dvd rom was tryin to boot as a master and now its messed up keeps comin in and out and in and out and it is really annoyin think there my be a loose connection or something. Only thing is i can't take the power supply out of it cause the computer won't boot without it powered on will come up the same message. Bit of a bummer if u ask me lol so it looks like i have to get a new dvd rom drive