Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Slow Wireless Speeds? Read this!

This is a discussion on Slow Wireless Speeds? Read this! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; As discussed in your other thread, you have a poor wireless connection. TCPOptimizer won't change that....

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Slow Wireless Speeds? Read this!

As discussed in your other thread, you have a poor wireless connection. TCPOptimizer won't change that.

2. Advertisement
      london_red is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      As discussed in your other thread, you have a poor wireless connection. TCPOptimizer won't change that.
      But even when i have excellent connection the problem is still there. Sky told me its to do with BT's line and there might be a fault on it. So BT are sending someone Friday to check the line. Said i will have to pay 150 if they find no problem for call out. Some how i dont think they will be getting that.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by london_red View Post
      But even when i have excellent connection the problem is still there.
      Is the problem there wired?

What you may not realise is that what you assume is an "excellent connection" is just your wireless device reporting a strong signal. It is the signal quality that matters much more than signal strength i.e it is quite possible to have a very strong rubbish signal.

How you've come to the conclusion that you have a BT line fault is beyond me. If I recall correctly your other thread/posts refer only to your inability to get any wireless connection at all - but maybe I've misremembered or haven't seen your line problem posts?

Have you run the checks to see if your line is giving problems? If not then calling out BT seems a little premature.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Is the problem there wired?

What you may not realise is that what you assume is an "excellent connection" is just your wireless device reporting a strong signal. It is the signal quality that matters much more than signal strength i.e it is quite possible to have a very strong rubbish signal.

How you've come to the conclusion that you have a BT line fault is beyond me. If I recall correctly your other thread/posts refer only to your inability to get any wireless connection at all - but maybe I've misremembered or haven't seen your line problem posts?

Have you run the checks to see if your line is giving problems? If not then calling out BT seems a little premature.
      Im not saying that i am the one that said it was a line fault to do with BT that is what the sky customer service people said. Yes i had the same problem of speed wired as well. I have also just checked my home telephone and there was a lot of crackling. I had poor connection. Since then the crackling has stopped and now i get around 3000 kbps (5 is the max in my area).

I think that is maybe why my wireless connection kept cutting out and why i had so many problems connecting. I also get a lot of disconnection through the ethernet wired connection as well. Thought it might be the router but according to sky BT landline might be the problem

The crackling has happened before as well which is why if BT come round and say there is no problem i would be a little annoyed.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Since my reply my wireless has stayed connected but for some reason i havent been able to view websites. I think ill stay by the phone and if i cant view web pages ill check if my phone starts crackling again.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Oh and one more thing to add. For the last 20 minutes my i light on the router keeps going out then coming back on but i cant surf the net and look at websites. It one thing after another. Nothing is ever simple i guess. HAHA ah well.

rockdj99uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01252
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Using a works laptop today I was only getting 3Mbps download. Used TCP Optimizer and got it up to 12Mbps.

Great help this thread. Thanks all

woodzter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stourbridge
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Re: Slow Wireless Speeds? Read this!

I am over the moon i have found this post. I amnew to Sky BB and only came o use it after 10 years of Telewest because of a house move. I am on mid package and could only get 2mb download via wireless and 4 by wire. This was a pain because of the location of my router (by TV in lounge where main phone point is)

I put this bit of software on and i now get 5.5mb download which it the top i will get becasue of the distance of the exchange from my house.

Couple of questions,

Do you need to only run this once? unless you want to change back or to different?
      Should i now run this on every wired and wireless pc?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by woodzter View Post
      Do you need to only run this once? unless you want to change back or to different?
      Should i now run this on every wired and wireless pc?
      Yes to both.

michael.seigal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bowes Park
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am new to these forums also and was getting a much better wired connection over wireless. I ran this and went from a speedtest of around 3mb to 8mb! I couldnt believe the improvement and I am downloading wireless now at greatly improved speeds!

Thanks for posting this.

Michael

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast