Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless Suddenly Stopped Working

This is a discussion on Wireless Suddenly Stopped Working within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello all, Managed to set up Sky Broadband a few weeks ago with wireless connection working perfectly on two laptops. ...

KD51 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless Suddenly Stopped Working

Hello all,

Managed to set up Sky Broadband a few weeks ago with wireless connection working perfectly on two laptops. Now two days ago for no apparent reason, can't connect to internet on either laptop via wireless. It's fine with the ethernet cable attached but really need wireless back up. Have called Sky for 45 mins at a time and nothing they suggest works. Have also tried loads of the advice on here like changing wireless settings on Netgear page etc. but nothing seems to help. I now have Limited or No Connectivity and no idea what else to try.

I noticed in the "view available networks" box that a new network has appeared - could this be interfering with my Sky one?

My knowledge of technical stuff is pretty limited so any help would be appreciated. Knew it was too good to be true when it all set up so easily in the first place!

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      red1-lakeside is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: reading
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless Suddenly Stopped Working

Hi KD51, Same problem Just about to try sky tech. for help????
      Any ideas

Dontnomem8 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stafford
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just As a quick trial have you tried changing the channel on your wireless ? to say channel 6 or something.

Just a thought as someone told me the other day to try that when mine was playing up.

Dontnomem8

sassylady is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWKLAN
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I downloaded net stumbler as we have a few other networks and had the same problem, as they were sharing same channels, so I dropped 4 channels difference away from each, problem solved.
      Rosie
      12591 kb/s Download 579 kb/s upload

KD51 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Now for no apparent reason my wireless is back up and running again. My flatmate's isn't though so I am still trying to work on that.

Sky tech go through a lot of options like changing channels etc although this didn't work for me.

I seem to be able to connect when I am on WPA security and not able to connect on WEP, so that is worth a try.

snake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You are connecting yourself now through WEP so remember the other laptop also has to have the same passphrase entered in and also has to be connecting using windows xp as the wireless manager. With wireless there has not to be a single piece of information from the router to all wireless laptops/pcs different as this may cause 1 to connect but not the other so make sure the other laptop is set up the same with the same passphrase entered and having windows support the wireless connection. Alot of Pci cards are finding it difficult to work with the new encryption so therefore WEP being an older version may need to be used for a steady connection
      Last edited by Saturday; 27-01-07 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Removed full quote of preceding post