Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection Problems

This is a discussion on Connection Problems within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Been on SKY BB for over a month now. I have both my main PC and my daughters bedroom PC ...

inabsentia is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connection Problems

Been on SKY BB for over a month now. I have both my main PC and my daughters bedroom PC set up wirelessly, using the Netgear USB adaptors from SKY themselves. Installation was easy and it ran just fine.

Last weekend, I noticed that the connection strength was down my main PC, even though nothing had been moved-I was also finding that the connection kept dropping out too-I checked my daughters connection and this too was happening there too. As a temporary fix, I reattached via ethernet to the modem for my main PC, and my speed went back to what I would expect to get. At the same time my daughter connection remained on, even though the connection strength was down. I didn't change anything in case it was just 'something' that was temporarily causing it. A week on, and the connection onto my daughters PC is continually dropping out, so clearly there is something wrong.

In the netgear router admin, I changed the channel that I was transmitting on wirelessly and then reconnected the wireless connection on my main PC- that has helped get the connection strength back consistantly up to 54 kbps, but I just cannot get connected to the internet wirelessly- it comes up with 'acquiring network address' but doesn't connect. If I disable the wireless connection and re-enable the ethernet cable, then it connects me just fine.

Anyone got any thoughts on what could be casuing this? One thought I had was that maybe I was missing something on the adaptor set up as I haven't changed the channel on there, but can't see anywhere I could do that anyway.

All comments will be gratefully received!

2. Advertisement
      Disillusioned is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSFLT Filton Bristol
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Connection Problems

To be honest, the Netgear Router's wireless capabilities are woefully inadequate and the most reliable connection to it will always be via Ethernet.

There are numerous threads dedicated to this problem within the forum and a quick scout around will find you all of the assistance already provided to other users.

Good luck in getting it sorted
      ~Computing today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning~

inabsentia is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned View Post
      To be honest, the Netgear Router's wireless capabilities are woefully inadequate and the most reliable connection to it will always be via Ethernet.
      Which isn't a full time options because the phone socket is in a place that would be impossible to keep a permanent ethernet cable. Anyway, it was running perfectly for the best part of a month!!

There are numerous threads dedicated to this problem within the forum and a quick scout around will find you all of the assistance already provided to other users.
      Trouble is, tryign to tack it down is like finding a needle in a haystack. I'd already done that before posting and while I can find several threads with similar problems, I don't find any that match the problem i've got exactly.

Good luck in getting it sorted
      Thanks

Disillusioned is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSFLT Filton Bristol
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hopefully someone will give some more specific advice to you.

Once again, good luck
      ~Computing today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning~

Scrubbless is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Benfleet, Essex
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'd suspect someone in your routers wireless range has just got a wireless router or device, when has considerably dropped your signal rate, hence its a hard time connecting.

I have a similar problem with my router and its wireless capabilities.. Its flakey at best, but my signal rate drops early afternoon and goes back up after midnight.
      But it is not helped by the distance to my machine to the router and the positioning.

Have you tried repositioning the router, maybe higher up? Also stick it on Auto 108 rather than B&G and see if that helps.

If not, check out the Tech Forums, they have some handy tips to get your login usename/password so you can use your old router. (I did this which solved my wireless disconnection problems to an extent, but its not ideal).
      Last edited by Scrubbless; 09-01-07 at 09:47 AM.