Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Improving wireless signal strength ??

This is a discussion on Improving wireless signal strength ?? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, I am looking into ways of possibly improving the signal strength on my wireless network. In my study, ...

AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Improving wireless signal strength ??

Hi all,

I am looking into ways of possibly improving the signal strength on my wireless network.

In my study, I have my PC "wired" into the Sky Netgear router. The router sits on the PC desk 'sandwiched' between the PC and an TFT monitor. There is also a DECT handset (occasionally in use) on the PC desk as well.

In the living room is my wireless 'client' - otherwise none as a Wii - which sits amongst a load of AV equipment (TV, DVD player, Sky+, 5.1 subwoofer, etc).

The 'straight line" between the Wii and router goes through 2 solid brick walls - one of which is an 'external' wall as the study is actually in an extension)

'Internet' activity on the Wii seems overly slow to me but when I set the Wii up it found the "access point" within seconds.

Does my setup sound like a complete wireless nightmare ? Or does the fact that the Wii had no problem finding the access point mean any "slowness" is not down to my local wireless network ?

TIA for any help.

Regards,

Adam Brunt

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

I think I have definite problem with wireless signal strength

I moved the router to within 2 metres of the Wii and internet activity is flying !!!

What I had never noticed/realised before is that when you detect the access point, the screen that comes back shows SSID, secure/non-secure and signal strength. Moving the router changed this icon's colour from a dull orange to bright green !!!

I have had to move the router back now as the PC's wired connection is more important than the Wii's but don't know how to resolve this issue.

I think I am going to have to go for Wii -> USB-to-LAN -> Homeplug -> Router, unless anyone has any bright ideas about getting the best possible connection rates for a "wired" PC and a "wireless" client ??

Thanks

Looking at the DG834GT's datasheet, it's antenna is only 2bBi Gain.

There are power seller's on ebay selling 9dBi Gain antennas which are a straight swap for the default Sky router one. I think that's my first port of call.

kebabman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: High Wycombe
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Improving wireless signal strength ??

did this improve the strength of the signel if so which 1 did you get