Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

what is the correlation between wireless download speeds and network speeds

This is a discussion on what is the correlation between wireless download speeds and network speeds within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; On base package and all working fine. With ethernet i get approx 1700 kbs. With wireless (router on a separate ...

barnsleyfan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wombwell
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

what is the correlation between wireless download speeds and network speeds

On base package and all working fine. With ethernet i get approx 1700 kbs. With wireless (router on a separate floor) I generally get 1500 kbs (although it fluctuates between 1100 and 1700). I also notice that my network signal strength fluctuates between low (11mbs) and very good (48 mbs).

If i upgrade to mid package i should be able to achieve a connection speed of about 5500 mbs, suggesting a download speed by ethernet of 4400 (80%). However, if connecting wirelessly will i achieve slightly less than 4400 (since i currently get slightly less than the ethernet equivalent), or will i still get 1500. i.e is my wireless network connection restricting me to 1500, irrespective of the sync speed, or so long as my network connection exceeds 11mbs, should i be able to acheive, say, 4000.

If i will see a better connection speed wirelessly then i will upgrade. Otherwise i will live with 1500 kbs, after being on dialup for 10 years, the base package is like lightning!
      Last edited by barnsleyfan; 15-12-06 at 12:27 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Hoagie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gedling (EMGDDLI)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Given those network signal fluctuations you may find changing the channel helps.

But on the speed subject, you'll always get a better speed if your DSL speed increases. If you go close to (or even above) the wireless speed then it'll be hardly noticeable, but there will be an increase.