Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

WPA support in Windows XP

This is a discussion on WPA support in Windows XP within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Description and download details >>>here<<<...

LNB
      LNB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Padgate LVPAD
      Broadband ISP: Connect at 5 per month
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

WPA support in Windows XP

Description and download details >>>here<<<
      Service recovery 02392 899292

You got 3 right!
      D'oh! Not good, dude.

2. Advertisement
      CompactDestruction is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dewsbury
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: WPA support in Windows XP

This information is outdated. WPA support is included in Service Pack 2 by default.

However, for WPA2 support (which the Sky router does NOT support by the way) get this update.

psychocandy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: rhiwderin
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CompactDestruction View Post
      This information is outdated. WPA support is included in Service Pack 2 by default.

However, for WPA2 support (which the Sky router does NOT support by the way) get this update.
      Whats the difference between WPA and WPA2 and why do you need it?

I always thought that whereas WEP is crackable, WPA is pretty much secure....
      Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh

CompactDestruction is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dewsbury
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

WPA is pretty much secure, but WPA2 is even more secure. It's always best to choose the most secure option if all your devices support it.

On Wireless On A 11500kbps Line

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

WPA uses TKIP and WPA2 uses AES, they are just different levels of encryption. AES is higher rated, but in real terms they are both pretty secure. Note that the Netgear box does not support AES encryption so you are stuck with the lower offering.

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CompactDestruction View Post

This patch has been replaced with Description of the Wireless Client Update for Windows XP with Service Pack 2 which has some further bug fixes and improvements. If you have windows XP I would recommend installing it not just for the WPA2.
      Last edited by armitasp; 10-07-07 at 10:37 PM.

psychocandy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: rhiwderin
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
      WPA uses TKIP and WPA2 uses AES, they are just different levels of encryption. AES is higher rated, but in real terms they are both pretty secure. Note that the Netgear box does not support AES encryption so you are stuck with the lower offering.
      Ah. So not much point in using WPA2 then ???
      Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh

aviator is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Albert Dock
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

So for clarity if someone has XP SP2 and WPA does not work will the patch fix access probs.

It seems to be only older XPs updated with SP2 that have this problem. Later units already fitted with SP2 work just fine.

TIA

Richard

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Microsoft recommends the patch for anyone using XP. It fixes quite a few bugs in XPs wireless networking (and also happens to give support fr WPA2).

WPA2 is what WPA should have been. Whilst for home use WPA (Personal) is unlikely to broken (if you have a strong key) thats no reason to get complacent. If you are buying new equipment I'd make sure it supports 802.11i WPA2 (not difficult as most stuff does).

If you are having problems first thing I would do is get the latest drivers from manufacturers, you'd be surprised how often this fixes WPA problems.

As a side note there is no known way to break AES encryption other than brute force (I know someone will throw side-channel attacks back at me, but to do that you would need to be on the machine doing the encryption).
      Last edited by armitasp; 15-07-07 at 11:36 PM.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,017 Posts

Sorry, I know that this is an old thread, but whilst I would entirely agree that WPA2 is more secure than WPA & WEP respectively, it IS crackable.

There are various tools available for snooping on WiFi signals and a few of these are available to the public to download. A more recent story confirms that a security researcher has written a program that can hack WEP, WPA & WPA2.

Another contact I have also advised me that even wired networks can be hacked with the right equipment. Standard RJ45e network cable is not shielded and is quite easy to crack with the right equipment. Shielded cables (like those for 1Gbps LAN) are a little harder.

The truth is that very few people need to be concerned with having their networks hacked so long as basic steps are taken to ensure that some security is in place. Should someone actually hack into your network & use your bandwidth, they are committing various offences. If you are able to prove who it is, the they can be done for stealing your bandwidth without your consent, if all they done was to browse the Internet.

Personally I would suggest that people log into their routers and limit which devices can sign into your WiFi. This does create a nuisance when you get a new WiFi enabled mobile or PC initially, but once their MAC address has been recorded on the router, normal service will be resumed.

For the Sky routers, click on the <Setup> tab, beside the heading 'Wireless Station Access List' click on <Setup access List> then, following the instructions on the screen, add your WiFi devices to your list of 'Trusted Wireless Stations'. Save the settings, then tick the box beside 'Turn Access Control On' and save again.

Whilst not 100% secure, this really will make it harder for your WiFi to be broken.

The routers sent out by Sky have a passkey & WEP enabled by default. Some ISPs used to send out box-standard routers without any security enabled. If you wish to use a router not supplied by Sky, then you really should setup a suitable passkey to protect your LAN. Most will also allow you to limit who connects to your router by using MAC addresses too.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms