Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A question about Wireless use with SKY

This is a discussion on A question about Wireless use with SKY within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Howdy everyone. OK i have been using sky BB for a couple weeks so far with no problems, it's been ...

Blue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

A question about Wireless use with SKY

Howdy everyone.

OK i have been using sky BB for a couple weeks so far with no problems, it's been excellent. i have the router installed on my main PC in my room, i use my laptop wirelessly on the network with no problems.

the problem occurred today. i ordered a netgear usb network adapter for my uncle so he could also get online with our BB from his computer. i installed the netgear usb adapter software and drivers first. then connected the usb adapter to the computer. windows XP detected the device and all was going well until i tried to get online.

first of all it wont let me enter my NETWORK KEY. everytime i try to enter it, i get an error window saying :network passphrase needs to be 40bits or 104bits. it can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters.

all the while, windows keeps picking up the wireless sky connected in the taskbar, reporting excellent strength, and 10 seconds later, it reports the wireless connection as unavailable. and it keep going back and forth.

i called sky just now but they are having some problems and told me to call back in 3 hours.

any ideas guys?

cheers

2. Advertisement
      Amaboknaai is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01276 Camberley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC68U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Log in to your router from your Ethernet connected PC. Disable the wireless security settings, save the settings and try and connect wirelessly again.

If this works, then reenable the wireless WPA settings using either Sky's settings, or your own and try connecting again.

If it doesn't work, then open a command line on the wireless PC and type:

ipconfig /release and enter

then

ipconfig /renew and enter

then

ipconfig /all and enter

then take a screenshot of resultant screen, and save it as a file.

Try connect again. If it doesn't work, then take the screenshot file and post it with your report back to HQ.
      Last edited by Amaboknaai; 14-12-06 at 06:54 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks for the help, i'll give it a try. but i dont see how this will fix the issue of windows not accepting my network key, saying how it isn't ascii or hexadecimal characters...

by the way, can you remember the ip i need to to type in to get to my router settings?

thanks mate

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
      thanks for the help, i'll give it a try. but i dont see how this will fix the issue of windows not accepting my network key, saying how it isn't ascii or hexadecimal characters...

by the way, can you remember the ip i need to to type in to get to my router settings?

thanks mate
      How old is the laptop you are trying to connect? I had the same error when trying to set up my mates 4 year old IBM thinkpad the other week on Orange wireless. It turned out the wireless card in his laptop would not support WPA sercurity. After many hours of trying to get it to work. We settled for WEP sercurity and set the MAC code authorisation on as well. It all worked fine then.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks newsreader and others for the help. i've tried everything but still no solution.

i don't understand why my uncles computer won't log onto the network. the wireless connection software that comes with the netgear adapter is clearly detected my SKY network, says it is secure, I enter the passphrase, and nothing happens, it still says wireless connection unavailable.

so the other solution is the get the mac code of my uncles machine, and add that to the access list in my router settings on my main computer right?

if that will work, can someone tell me how to get the mac address of a computer please. i tried clicking on the wireless connections icon in the taskbar and then clicking support > details, but when i click the icon on my uncles machine, that box doesnt show up, all i get is a box showing my the list of wireless connections available in my areas and an empty box to type in the password (which as stated, it won't accept).

thanks

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok i followed people advice

i changed the security mode to wep too, thinking maybe the adapter couldnt work with wpa, and i used one of the generated codes. then i also got the mac code form my uncles machine and entered that in the access list too, but still nothing.

the weird thing is, my uncles machine is picking up the sky wireless connection and reporting EXCELLENT signal strength, but i just cant get online. when i click on internet explorer, i get a page failed to load. so i'm just really puzzled

Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Mmmmmm it is a nightmare when this sort of thing happens! took me 2 evenings to sort out me mates one, do you still get nothing if you disable all the sercurity on the router?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      Mmmmmm it is a nightmare when this sort of thing happens! took me 2 evenings to sort out me mates one, do you still get nothing if you disable all the sercurity on the router?
      nope, still nothing. i disabled security on the router, ran back downstairs, and still the same. wireless connection detected with very strong signal, but just can't get online.

he is running an old version of xp so maybe something t.....nah i doubt it's anything to do with the OS.

help me guysss

Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Does he use it on wireless elsewhere? If not in explorer go into Tools / Internet Options / Connections and make sure never dial a connection is clicked, If it aint that I am out of ideas!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast