Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection speed between pc/laptop & router?

This is a discussion on Connection speed between pc/laptop & router? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Dear all, I'm kind of new to sky broadband only having experienced wanadoo before with no problems. I have a ...

Graham H is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connection speed between pc/laptop & router?

Dear all,

I'm kind of new to sky broadband only having experienced wanadoo before with no problems. I have a desktop pc and a laptop trying to access the sky router wirelessly and the connection from the router to the outside world is stable and constant, however, the connection between the pc/laptop and the router seems to be a bit hit and miss, varying from 1.0Mbps to 54.0Mbps and constantly changing.

Basically, it's driving me crackers! I have tried putting the the router on a high shelf, and even next to the laptop to still be greeted with a very slow connection speed.

With my old wanadoo package, the speed between the laptop and router was constant, regardless of where i was in the house or the colour of socks i was wearing so what's the deal with the sky router? Is it broken?

Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks, Graham.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Getting a good constant speed via wireless can be a real problem sometimes. Often it is due to signal strength fluctuations, other times hardware incompatibilities and even interference from other devices.

Your best bet is to experiment with different wireless channel numbers - you'd be amazed what a difference this can make sometimes. That said, some people report best speeds using auto108

HTH