Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Totally Wireless .. Some Questions..

This is a discussion on Totally Wireless .. Some Questions.. within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; OK, I've now got two of SKY/Netgear wireless adaptors connected and working just fine on both PC's. From the Netgear ...

inabsentia is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Totally Wireless .. Some Questions..

OK, I've now got two of SKY/Netgear wireless adaptors connected and working just fine on both PC's.

From the Netgear wireless information panel it shows my main PC has a 51% signal when connected into the rear USB port and the the Mbps is fluctuating from 12 to 56...I don't know whether this is good or bad (Because of sync problems, my SKY BB connection is 8.5mb/sec download and 768kb/sec upload), but I'm not noticing any drop off in speed- indeed I've got a couple of torrents running and the speed is identical to what I'd expect from my wired connection. So I assume that even at the lowesr wireless connection speed , I'm above my max internet connection speed.....or am I missing something here??

Another question- my torrent client is now showing a 'red light' - that doesn't stop me uploading or downloading but it should (and was when connected by ethernet cable) be green. As i've now gone totally wireless, do I need to change a setting somewhere?

Finally- if I have to access my router to make changes (like maybe to alter my torrent settings-see above), do I need to disconnect the wireless connection or will it be ok to leave that on while accessing the router?

2. Advertisement
      Hoagie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gedling (EMGDDLI)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      The red light on the torrent app is probably a port forwarding thing. It's possible that it's using UPnP to configure the port forwarding but this is known to have some "Issues" on the sky box. I'd advise you to go the the sky configuration page (192.168.0.1 admin/sky) and manually set the port forwarding. torrent clients vary so I can't be more specific.