Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Totally Wireless..

This is a discussion on Totally Wireless.. within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I've only recently connected to SKYBB after many years of having a dead stable NTL home network (only main PC ...

inabsentia is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Totally Wireless..

I've only recently connected to SKYBB after many years of having a dead stable NTL home network (only main PC and upstairs one). cable modem to router and USB connection for the upstairs PC and via ethernet to the main PC. All 'b' type wireless gear but it was fine for my daughter's use.

Now, with ADSL, I cannot get a signal into the router from the telephone socket nearest the PC , so it's got to be plugged into the main socket in the hall and it works fine- problem is then I've got wires trailing across the living room and out into the hall- not good for marital harmony!!!

So, my question is this. Would it be ok to connect both the upstairs PC AND the main (downstairs) PC wirelessly? If I switch both USB adaptors to 'g' technology, would my speed stay good or would it not be anything like as good as via ethernet?

Bear in mind we are not taking about great distances here- the router is probably only 12-15 feet from both computers and using the old Belkin 'b' adaptor I'm getting a good signal and speed on my PC upstairs (Though I'm not able to get a connection if I attempt to use any encryption- I just get 'acquiring network address' and no connection).

If wireless would be a goer, would the usb adaptor that SKY sell be the way to go? Talking to their tech support yesterday, they made it clear they will not offer any wireless support if the SKY adaptors are not used.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      The Sky USB wireless adapters are well worth it at 20.00 each and will definitely do what you want to do

Would it be ok to connect both the upstairs PC AND the main (downstairs) PC wirelessly?
      Yes

If I switch both USB adaptors to 'g' technology, would my speed stay good or would it not be anything like as good as via ethernet?
      ethernet will always give you the better performance

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply.. much appreciated...I know it's impossible to put a figure on these things, but given what I've already said abouthow close the router and PC's are- would the drop off in performance/speed between ethernet and wireless be that great?

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Hard to say, if you play online games, you are better off with wireless definitely, although should be adequate.

The problem with wireless for some people it just works, others a bit of messing around.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers mate..absolutely no gaming involved..mainly it's torrent traffic which rarely maxes out the available speed anyway... I guess it's 'suck it and see'....either that or suggest to 'er indoors it would be a good time for a new carpet-so I can get under the floorboards :-)

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Set it all up and if you get stuck just ask and we can help

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK- both my PC are now connected using the SKY(Netgear) wireless USB connections. Connections were made easily and seem pretty consistent, my daughters PC seems to be consistently on a 'very good' signal and is showing a connection between 36 and 54 mb/sec, but on mine downstairs, it rarely better that 12mb/sec and a connnection that fluctuates between 'low' and 'good'.

It's not a MAJOR problem as that is enough for sending my internet connection at good speed (My max connection speed from SKYBB is 8.5mb down 768 up), but what I've noticed is a huge slowdown when my daughter tries to access a shared file on my PC. Usually that's music, and when I was connected by wire to my router, no problem, she could playback audio files without any problems- now it takes an age just for the network to open the files in my shared folder and then it's impossible to play any multimedia files via the network.

I know all that is a bit vague, but any thoughts on what I can do

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Following on from my message above...

I'd noticed quite speed drop on my sownloads in the last day or so so I ran a speed test and was shocked to see these figure

Speed Down 311.84 Kbps ( 0.3 Mbps )
      Speed Up 641.85 Kbps ( 0.6 Mbps )

There was nothing else connected to the net when I ran this test and I ran it three times-this was the best of three very close results

So, I connected by wire again, diabled the wireless connection and tried again- I got this

Speed Down 6733.49 Kbps ( 6.6 Mbps )
      Speed Up 644.41 Kbps ( 0.6 Mbps )

So clearly, I've got a pretty major is with the wireless connection which, when I did the tests, was showing as a 'very good' connection.

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      hi i have noticed that where my router is placed makes wireless good /bad [when its beside my bt main socket in living room i get lots of poor downloading and speed [think it's people traffic ie cat,dog and family moving around [at nite post 11pm it stabilises as no one is wandering about [although i dont know if people break up the signal ] try moving router up higher and see if that helps [mines sits on windowsill and i get good signal strength [10 metres away through 2 walls]but sitting on phone table it makes the signal bar drop 3 [goes to weak,from excellent