Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless Connected but no Internet access?!?

This is a discussion on Wireless Connected but no Internet access?!? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I'm sending this thread on behalf of my Grandad whom I'm trying to get into the whole Internet scene. ...

chewitt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless Connected but no Internet access?!?

Hi,

I'm sending this thread on behalf of my Grandad whom I'm trying to get into the whole Internet scene. He is so willing to try it but it's such a shame when problems occur and he feels like he has done something wrong.

Well, here is the problem anyway:

He had the man from Sky Broadband come around on Friday 1st December, the man connected up his Wireless Router (I think it's called that) into the phone line. After that the man connected the USB Netgear adapter into his computer. He left after that, so my grandad called me round to help him get started.

I switched the PC on and installed the software that came with the hardware.
      I opened the Netgear application and typed the security numbers that came on the little card (Sky numbers).
      After this, the wireless connection icon on the start bar stated to flash and it was connected, Great or not so great!!
      I tried opening the Internet Explorer Browser but it says that all web pages can't be displayed!?
      The Netgear software says it is receiving the signal though on Channel 11 so can't see why my Grandad can't browse the Web.

I thought that maybe Sky don't switch the service on that straight away so he may have to wait a little while but I'm not sure (it was only last Friday he connected and it's been 2 business days) so any assistance would be grateful,

Kind Regards,

Colin
      London,UK

2. Advertisement
      jewkesy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fazeley
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi there,

A few things to check first: -

Does the router have the green light to say that your line is ADSL?

Did your Grandad connect to the interent via another modem? if so the internet connection options may still point to that, you need to remove it if it does.

Finally, try plugging the computer directly intot he router via the yellow cable to ensure that the wireless usb dongle is not the issue.
      "Man who walk through airport door sideways is going to Bangkok..."

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for replying.

Yes the green light is on on the front of the router, I'm pretty sure this part is working correctly.

The USB dongle flashes blue also so this must be on.

He has had no previous Internet connection on his PC, it's nearly brand new.

There is no way of plugging the router in to the PC as the cable isn't long enough, that was the whole reason he wanted it wireless.

They bought the USB dongle brand new from the Sky Broadband man for about 20 I think so it must be brand new.

jewkesy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fazeley
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      If you are able to reach the netgear control panel (which you say you can) it seems to be that the computer is unable to determine how to connect to the internet. This is usually related to gateway settings.

In 'Network connections' view the proprties of the wireless adaptor. Under the general tab view the properties for 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)'.

You need to set the 'default gateway' to the router IP which is 192.168.0.1
      If need be set the 'IP address' to 192.168.0.2 and the 'Subnet mask' to 255.255.255.0

Leave 'Obtain DNS...' to automatic.

Ok your way out and reboot the machine.
      "Man who walk through airport door sideways is going to Bangkok..."

Homer_J_Simpson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01562
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by chewitt View Post
      Thanks for replying.

Yes the green light is on on the front of the router, I'm pretty sure this part is working correctly.
      The USB dongle flashes blue also so this must be on.

He has had no previous Internet connection on his PC, it's nearly brand new.

There is no way of plugging the router in to the PC as the cable isn't long enough, that was the whole reason he wanted it wireless.

They bought the USB dongle brand new from the Sky Broadband man for about 20 I think so it must be brand new.

When using wireless there must be at least 3 Green lights, Power, Wireless and an "i" with a circle underneath to indicate ADSL is active. Make absolutely certain your activation date has passed. As the equipment can be installed regardless of ADSL status.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Has 3 green lights as you have said.

How do I know what the activation date is?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,
      Read original post..........
      Last night I took another look at my grandads PC and now it's not even properly connecting like before.
      On the windows start bar, the Wireless Network icon shows disconnected, on the Netgear software it scans and locks onto channel 11 (which is the correct channel for him) then disconnects and scans again like a continuous loop.
      I have typed in correctly all his details from the card he received in the box from sky so I can't see why it won't even connect this time.
      Last edited by chewitt; 14-12-06 at 09:49 AM.