Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Wireless speeds 10% of ethernet speeds

This is a discussion on Wireless speeds 10% of ethernet speeds within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I had a thought about this... would you not need a new aerial for each wireless device in the house? ...

mrtom2985 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: York
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      I had a thought about this... would you not need a new aerial for each wireless device in the house? This was drawn to my attention when reading up about Bluetooth ranges. See, I was going to get a Class 1 dongle for my PC cos it has a range of 100m. My phone has Class 2, range 10m, cos it consumes less power.

But someone pointed out that even with my 100m dongle, I would still only have a 10m range, because the connection is 2-way - the phone would be able to receive data at 100m, but not send it back. They used a good metaphor - think of 2 people throwing a ball to each other, 100m apart. If A can throw a ball 100m, it will reach B. However, if B can only throw 10m, he will not be able to throw it back to A.

I think this can possibly be applied to our aerial situation too. It's all good boosting the signal at one end, but unless you do it at both ends, the connection quality is still only going to be as good as the poorer aerial.

If only eBuyer did a 2-for-1 offer on the aerials!

2. Advertisement
      Disillusioned is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSFLT Filton Bristol
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I am having the same problems, absolutely apalling speeds at anything over 12 feet from the router. I have overcome this in the short term by configuring my old router as an access point and connecting to that instead.

It really does seem that the Sky router has a ridiculously low output.

Last edited by Disillusioned; 30-12-06 at 06:40 PM. Reason: because I can't spell
      ~Computing today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning~

stripe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: worcs
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      @mrtom2985, 1 arial, in theory should transmit and receive from a further distance, 2 arials, router and card would be better,but one arial on either router or wifi card should help
      if buying a higher db arial i would go for 9db or more,, i see there's a thing going building omni directional arials from pringles cans and stuff, and some of the guys are getting miles, bit pointless but interesting , just google....pringles antenna

LNB
      LNB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Padgate LVPAD
      Broadband ISP: Connect at 5 per month
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Not as good as a wok!
      Service recovery 02392 899292

You got 3 right!
      D'oh! Not good, dude.

Disillusioned is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSFLT Filton Bristol
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Just accross the other side of the room would be a start
      ~Computing today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning~

mrtom2985 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: York
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Aerials

Well I've gone and bought some antennae myself from eBuyer now to try and improve the signal strength. Some interesting results. I have a desktop and a laptop both using the Wi-Fi connection. Desktop has a PCI wi-fi card, laptop has a USB dongle.

Bought a 5dBi antenna and plugged it into the router. Absolutely no change in signal strength on either machine. Plugged the new antenna into the PCI card, no change in signal strength. Doesn't seem to do a lot, all things considered! Also, the aerial is huge, about twice the length of the one that comes with the router!

Also bought an antenna on an extension cable. Plugged it into Sky router. No noticeable change. Plugged it into the desktop PCI card, and suddenly have full signal strength! Since November my signal strength has varied from Low to Good, with the occasional Very Good in there. I've now had this aerial for a week, and the lowest I've ever seen it is Very Good. Happy times :-)

So maybe I was too quick to criticise the signal on the Sky router. Turns out it can get a good signal all the way upstairs, and my PCI card was a lot more at fault. With my USB dongle for the laptop, I can actually get a pretty good signal, but it requires finding the right position in the room (including "altitude"!), and using the extension cable they bundled with it definitely improves things too.

Anyway that's what I discovered under my unique set of circumstances. Maybe it will work for other people too. I hope so! I am now downloading at the same speed as if I was using a wired connection, so there is hope at least.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Aerials

Dear Mr. Tom (& others). I struggled for some time with Netgear USB wireless adapter similar to the WG111 Sky offer located upstairs from the router.

And an Apple laptop with built-in Airport refused to connect to the router when out of line of sight.

The USB worked better when placed near a window (the router is by a window too).

I turned off UPnP and installed a PCI wireless adapter with an aerial on a pigtal lead (so it could be located at various angles and slightly away from the PC case). Result pretty reliable connections upstairs and at the other end of an old brick and iron frame building.

Depul is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Northwood
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Aerials

I have the same problem with wireless speeds. Really appaulling even when im just in the next room. I changed the channel to 2 and this seems to give me full and stable speeds around the house.
      The thing is though that only this channel can provide the full speed of connection (8mb in my case). I have tried every single channel and they give me about 0.5mb (which drops to pretty much zero after a few seconds running a speed test). Anyone know why this is the case?

Also after running channel 2 for a few months perfectly my connection seems to get knocked off at odd intervals (can be as little as 10mins or it could run for a few hours no probs). I downloaded netstumber and this told me that someone is using channel 3 in my area and the signal strength is almost the same as what my router is giving even though my neighbour is in a different house (I live in a detached house btw). Could this possibly be a pre N router? I would like to change channels but as I mentioned before I cant so if anyone can help me I would appreciate it?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234