Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Wireless speeds 10% of ethernet speeds

This is a discussion on Wireless speeds 10% of ethernet speeds within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; get a 108 card, i had same problem, i had a 54 card in laptop and was getting 4.5 meg. ...

whufc0 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      get a 108 card, i had same problem, i had a 54 card in laptop and was getting 4.5 meg. bought a 108 card and now get 11 meg.

this leads on to a question from me, i had to get a new laptop,which has built in wlan which is only 54mbs, so am back to getting 4.5 meg.
      my netgear pcmcia card wont fit because its got a expresscard slot.
      does anyone know if you can get a 108mbs wlan expresscard.
      thanx

2. Advertisement
      gavinp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stony Stratford
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      What you want is a 108Mbps mini PCI wireless card to replace the current built-in one.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-mini-pci-wistron.htm

or look on Ebay to find one.

It is also worth doing a search on Google to ensure that your make of laptop will take a standard mini PCI card.

Thanks

Gavin

rogerfp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bexleyheath
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Careful before buying a new Mini-PCI card

Many laptops are bios locked to only use a mini-pci card specifically supplied by the manufacturer. If you install another make/model sometimes the Laptop will only generate an error message on startup and won't boot. There are ways round this for many makes but not all. IBM for example generates an 1802 error message and there is utility available to safely modify the bios. So do some research before you spend your money.

whufc0 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      thanx very much,, i have a hp dv6190 laptop, just looked at spec, mine has got a PCI Express Mini Card . not a mini pci card.
      Last edited by whufc0; 08-12-06 at 08:47 PM.

whitedot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just a further comment on this thread, I was looking around at replacement antennae for my router to see if that would help and on the US Robotics website I found this in one of their datasheets (I've underlined the bit I noticed in red):

So I had a look on the Netgear datasheet for the DG834GT supplied by Sky and sure enough:

To try and improve my signal I have decided to try the different antenna which I ordered from here: http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/120491 Works out a tenner, not bad if it works...

I will update on the results.

Depul is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Northwood
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Not sure if this has been mentioned before but I had a similar problem and managed to fix it by deleting Google Web Accelerator. If you go into internet options->connections->lan settings the setting should be on automatically detect settings. A web accelerator might force the proxy so even if you do enable this automatic setting it may go back to its orginal setting. I recommend deleting any accelerator software.
      Hope this is the problem.

mrtom2985 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: York
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      I do find it bizarre that when my wireless signal drops in quality, so does the speed of my Internet connection. Surely if your wireless card is outputting 18Mbps due to signal strength, for example, then your 4Mbps Internet speed should not be affected, as this is still well within the 18Mbps total bandwidth? But instead it seems to drop to ~1Mbps, if that? Any WiFi technology theorists got an explanation for this?

sumitk87 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Greenford
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      hi there
      i got sky broadband max a few days ago and after a little fiddling got a speed of 12mbps.

i kno the speed tests are not accurate so im not bothered why i only get 8-9mbps.

BUT i used it as benchmark.... when i connect directly with ethernet cable i get 8-10mbps and download at about 800-1000kbps atleast (from a good site). but when i connect use the wireless the speed test shows a max of 4mbps and downloads are about 300-400. one of my computers is 3metres away from the router and the other is is about 6metres.

the wireless utility shows signal strength as excellent (max bars) and the full 54mbps. So where is the bottleneck? my adapters are belkin 54g ones btw.

Thanks

Sumit

btw whitedot did the new antena work?
      cos im gettn sick of the wireless problem.... the signal strength stays excellent but the speed goes to 1mbps and stops working or at 54mbps and it acts slow !
      Last edited by sumitk87; 17-12-06 at 10:11 PM. Reason: avoid double post

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It's not arrived yet.

I chose the ultra-cheapo delivery option from ebuyer, will post when it arrives.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well, i've decided wireless is useless, so i've bought some homeplugs and going back to wires. The new aerial didn't improve things one bit, and though browsing is fine, i'm getting 0.5meg download speeds.

Major pity we can't use our own routers on Sky.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast