Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Cannot connect

This is a discussion on Cannot connect within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; We have installed all the hardware e.g Router,PCI Wireless L.A.N card, microfilters etc. but we cannot establish a wireless connection ...

howky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cannot connect

We have installed all the hardware e.g Router,PCI Wireless L.A.N card, microfilters etc. but we cannot establish a wireless connection . It detects it but cannot connect. But Ethernet connection works pefrectly. We have installed an ASUS WL-138GV2 wireless card in the computer. I made sure it worked ok on my computer which is NTL connecting to a DLink 54G+ Wireless router it worked effortlessly . I telephoned Sky Tech support who seem to think it could be compatiblity issue The card supports 802.11/B/G so does the router has anyone got any ides? we have ordered a USB Netgear wireless adaptor from Sky just in case. P.S when we installed the cd from sky it never prompted us to add our account details etc.(probably coz it didnt detect the Wireless connection )

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Try turning off uPNP in the router menu, Left hand side at bottom. Usually causes intermitent drop outs mine was disconnecting every 4 - 5 hours. Worth a try though.
      I not could be a duff router!
      Last edited by Wheelie; 30-11-06 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Please do not quote the preceding post. Please use QUOTE sparingly if you wish to aim a reply at a user then please use @User

Benny is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Edgware
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      You could maybe try going to network connections, right clicking the wireless network connection, then select properties. Then under general tab, scroll down to internet protocol(TCP/IP) and then click the properties button.
      Then de-select obtain an IP address automatically and choose 'use the following ip address' , then enter the values you need in the area below. Assuming your ethernet is at 192.168.0.2, then try these numbers for wireless :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . ..: 192.168.0.3
      Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
      Default Gateway . . . . . .. . . : 192.168.0.1

DNS Server 87.86.189.16

disable netbios for tcp/ip

This is, if under 'Details' on your network connection { bottom left), you are not seeing any numbers like these regarding wireless card.
      Last edited by Benny; 03-12-06 at 01:08 AM.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site howky

Just a thought but did you use the WEP password that is supplied with the router?
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

howky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hello and yes i did use the SSID and WEP network key provided. I tried entering the key in the ruoter configuration screen under WEP which generated 4 keys i chose a key and entered that key in the XP wireless network settings it accepted the key and tried to connect but nothing happened i tried disabling the encryption too still didnt connect. could the router be faulty?
      Just seems very strange as the ASUS card worked fine on my computerwith that DLINK 54G+
      Last edited by Wheelie; 30-11-06 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Please do not quote the preceding post. Please use QUOTE sparingly if you wish to aim a reply at a user then please use @User

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      It is possible that the router is faulty but just in case try using WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key) with the wireless adaptor as it may not like WEP?
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Anonymous is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Wireless Adapter won't connect

Guys,

Think this might be a subtly different problem & not sure if Benny's suggestion will help me out too?

Background: PC sits in my office at home. I had poor signal & dropout problems but basically Sky Netgear Router worked when connected via Ethernet cable to one of my PCs 2 network cards (other disabled). This was using a phone socket (& microfilter) in the Office.

Because of drop-outs I tested both main socket in hall & the test socket hidden behind that main socket plate. The test socket gave twice as good readings as main socket, so Sky (eventually) got BT to replace my main socket with a new face plate, which now has separate ADSL socket & therefore needs no microfilter. That's OK, but as PC is in a different room to the router now it meant I needed a Wireless Adapter to connect wirelessless from Router to PC (instead of via Ethernet Cable). Sky (eventually) sent me an Adapter (Netgear WG111T I think). Installed Driver & eventually got the set-up Wizard to work (rather than XPs own setup wizard).

The Problem: The setup wizard (or XP itself for that matter) can scan & detect my SKyXXXXX network (signal strength reading 70%). So the Adapter is working. I select that Network, type in the WPA-PSK Network key (8 digit uppercase) that Sky supplied me with & press 'Apply'/Connect & the software says 'Validating settings' but for some reason it cannot connect to the router.

On the settings page you can see the scan facility just keeps scanning, going through each channel, finds my Sky Network on Channel 1 (as per the card Sky sent with router) but won't connect. Any ideas?

I have been having problems with Sky since August & now I thought I was so close & yet......

One final piece of detail. I have a PDA (M600 SPV) & can connect wirelessly to the Router in the Hall & Browse the Internet on that. So the Router is working & the Adapter is working, as it can see the Network, but they just won't connect to each other! Please help (Internet browsing on a 2" screen is not really a long term solution!)

Benny is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Edgware
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Only if what 'details' on bottom left of network connections shows is not a valid ip address. Or try letting windows configure your wireless settings, then from connection properties, go to wireless networks under preferred networks, click advanced and then select the option 'access point (infrastructure) networks only .

assuming router is in its factory set condition regarding wireless access control being off and dhcp end address is not set too low..
      Last edited by Benny; 02-12-06 at 03:12 PM.