Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless activation

This is a discussion on Wireless activation within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all - just a real quick one. I've tried to set up Sky Broadband for my friend. All the ...

Jeff Ryan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Talking Wireless activation

Hi all - just a real quick one.

I've tried to set up Sky Broadband for my friend. All the right green lights are on the Netgear wireless router so the line is active. I got him a Netgear USB wireless adapter (WG11T) to talk to the router, as he had no on board LAN card.

I've installed the adapter and scanned for networks, finding the SKY22066 network. However I can't connect to it because it looks like it needs some sort of WEP key.Where would I get this key from? All my friend has is a username and password which I assume I can use when I can hit the front end of the router (192.168.0.1), but until I make a connection i can't configure.

I spoke to the Sky help guys but they wanted to speak direct to my friend who is not IT literate. I hasten to add I am a genuine IT Support guy just trying to help a mate and not have him spend x amount of pounds for some Sky techo to sort out in 2 mins flat!

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

2. Advertisement
      slong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leatherhead
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Look on the underside of the router. There should be a sky label attached with the SSID and Network key. These should enable you to log on to the router.

Jahchand is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ryan View Post

I've tried to set up Sky Broadband for my friend. All the right green lights are on the Netgear wireless router so the line is active. I got him a Netgear USB wireless adapter (WG11T) to talk to the router, as he had no on board LAN card.

I've installed the adapter and scanned for networks, finding the SKY22066 network. However I can't connect to it because it looks like it needs some sort of WEP key.Where would I get this key from? All my friend has is a username and password which I assume I can use when I can hit the front end of the router (192.168.0.1), but until I make a connection i can't configure.

I spoke to the Sky help guys but they wanted to speak direct to my friend who is not IT literate. I hasten to add I am a genuine IT Support guy just trying to help a mate and not have him spend x amount of pounds for some Sky techo to sort out in 2 mins flat!

Hi I've had exactly the same problem.

i did put in the details underneath the box but it still doesn't seem to work...

i can get the network going but no internet

I tried to sort my sister's out...and not even hardwiring with the ethernet doesn't work anymore

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      The WEP key wasnt under my router, The only numbers under my router were the SSID!
      The WEP key should be on another little paper that should be in the box (cardboard box)

damiancollins is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have the same setup

Make sure it is set to channel 11 as my wireless was set to channel 7

slong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leatherhead
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      My network key and SSID are on a label under the router. I also got a credit card like thing which came with the router and has the same information.

Hoagie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gedling (EMGDDLI)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Quick point here. The network key is case sensitive.

Jahchand is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I put in SSID and wep details but it still doesn't work

I did have channel set to one as per card and under the box details

Perhaps I didn't put the wep details in the right place

One I first put the details in I got the web working but it kept losing and finding the connection constantly...

After that I never got the web

4yoursoul is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Similarity

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ryan View Post

Hi Jeff,

That is the same wireless card I got for my wife's laptop. Just wondering, do you have the problem that you get a wireless connection established, but can't access the router or any webpages?