Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Will wireless be better than an extension cable

This is a discussion on Will wireless be better than an extension cable within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I have noticed that my noise margin goes way down sometimes and i have virtually no connection when this ...

markmgk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: downpatrick
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Will wireless be better than an extension cable

Hi, I have noticed that my noise margin goes way down sometimes and i have virtually no connection when this happens. I am connected upstairs through a very old cheap extension cable from the very old master socket downstairs. Would I get a better signal if I plugged the router into the master socket and used a wireless network adapter? and how difficult is it to set up a wireless connection, I`ve noticed some people on here seem to be having problems.

2. Advertisement
      jewkesy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fazeley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I do the same and have yet to have any problems.

Wireless may be an option but if possible I would recommend that you move your machine and router to the wall socket and try it out (it's only temporary)

This will prove whether the extension is the problem. You then have 2 choices - wireless or try a new cable.

markmgk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: downpatrick
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers. i`ll try that first. I`m dreading un-tangling the mass of cables behind my machine tho.I dont even know where 1/2 of them are going anymore. lol.

Hoagie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gedling (EMGDDLI)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      I would expect the wireless idea to be better. remember to disconnect any unused phone extensions at the master socket.

An even better way is a long ethernet cable from the router near the master socket to the PC. Faster and more reliable than wireless but wireless is fine for most people.

As he said, it's best to check on the test socket first and see if the improvement is worth it.

psychocandy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: rhiwderin
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Will wireless be better than an extension cable

Quote Originally Posted by Hoagie View Post
      I would expect the wireless idea to be better. remember to disconnect any unused phone extensions at the master socket.

An even better way is a long ethernet cable from the router near the master socket to the PC. Faster and more reliable than wireless but wireless is fine for most people.

As he said, it's best to check on the test socket first and see if the improvement is worth it.
      I've got a really crap setup at the moment. Plugged in extension wires going upstairs to a socket. Then another lead going to the modem.

I think I'm going to replace this by sticking the modem near the fornt door andf having a long piece of cat 5 instead....