Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Wireless Extender - What is the ethernet for?

This is a discussion on Sky Wireless Extender - What is the ethernet for? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, Just bought two more Sky wireless extenders - have I made a mistake? For whatever reason my house doesn't ...

nheather is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carfax, Horsham (SDHRSHM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Q Hub - No idea whether it is an ER110 or ER115
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky Wireless Extender - What is the ethernet for?

Hi,

Just bought two more Sky wireless extenders - have I made a mistake?

For whatever reason my house doesn't like wifi. It is not just Sky, it has been the same with every router and supplier I have tried. The signal strength degrades very quickly so that most of the rooms in the house get a weak connection or none at all. It's a fairly new build house (cardboard walls), I have tried changing channels, tried changing the position of the router (within limits - needs to connect to telephone socket), tried turning off microwaves, DECT phones etc. No help, every router has been the same.

So I remembered I had an extender, paired it using WPS and then plugged it into a wired Ethernet that I have upstairs. That seemed to eliminate a lot of the cold spots so I ordered a couple more.

Reading the instructions it seems that my understanding of the Ethernet cable may not be correct.

I assumed that if I plugged it into the Ethernet it would behave like a WiFi hotspot with data flowing between it and the router over Ethernet. Now I'm not so sure, reading the instructions that came with the new ones would suggest that the Ethernet connection is only for manually programming and once setup has no purpose at all.

Is that correct - if so, I have wasted my money because I was hoping the connect them into other Ethernet sockets - because if they need to be in WiFi signal range to work then that is a non-starter.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Wireless Extender - What is the ethernet for?

They can't be configured as hotspots and do need to be within wi-fi signal range of the main router to work. Once connected it is possible to use the wps button on the extender and a peripheral to connect without the necessity to use the button on the router. If left connected to the router by Ethernet cable some i/p traffic will take this route though what proportion, when compared with the wi-fi, I don't know.