Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless help needed!

This is a discussion on Wireless help needed! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi wondering if anyone could help! I've had Sky Broadband since Sunday and on my main computer it is up ...

myhen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Red face Wireless help needed!

Hi wondering if anyone could help!

I've had Sky Broadband since Sunday and on my main computer it is up and running well (as it is not through wireless). I also have an Apple Emac upstairs that I would like to set up on wireless, I've bought a USB Wireless adapter, a Safecom SWMULZ-5400 to be precise, as my Mac does not have a built in Airport system, unfortunately I'm having great difficulty setting the wireless up. The adapter searches and finds the router down stairs but i think the problem is the security settings, it shows the correct SSID and channel but i do not know where to put my network key. Iím not very great with computers, especially Macs, but from what I gather the router is using WPA? and the Emac is asking for keys for WEP, if that makes sense to anyone. I've tried to disable the router security settings but it still doesnít let me connect. The network status reads the Ethernet adapter has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet.

Any help would be really appreciated guys!

Dan

2. Advertisement
      LNB
      LNB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Padgate LVPAD
      Broadband ISP: Connect at £5 per month
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Service recovery 02392 899292

You got 3 right!
      D'oh! Not good, dude.

myhen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks for your help but that guide is for windows, although its the same problem the options wern't there on the mac. I downloaded another driver for the adapter and i managed to connect with the router security turned off. Considering i use internet banking etc. is this a stupid thing to do? Also seen as it asks me for a WEP key would it be possible to set up a WEP key instead of WPA?

Thanks
      Dan

LNB
      LNB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Padgate LVPAD
      Broadband ISP: Connect at £5 per month
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yes, you need to secure your wirelesss connection. Apparently, you need to type $ before your WEP key before entering, and save to keychain so you don't need to do this everytime. I hope this makes more sense to you than it does to me!
      Service recovery 02392 899292

You got 3 right!
      D'oh! Not good, dude.

Firmware is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02890
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Wireless help needed!

if you have already taken the securit off of the wireless then changing to WEP shouldnt be too difficult.
      firstly id recommend having your ethernet lead connected for most of this until you come to the part when you are going to reconnect to your wireless

go back into your router settings page (192.168... etc) and go to the set up option. on that page go to security options heading and the 2nd security option down should be WEP
      from there choose the encryption strength to either 64bit or 128bit (64bit being slightly less secure than 128bit but in reality there are not going to be too many people out there who would want to hack into someones domestic broadband, even if they do do internet banking etc).
      once youve got the encryption strength type any random word into the text box labled "passphrase" and click on the generate button.
      that will fill out the keys 1 - 4, take a note of the randomly generated bit of code inside Key 1 (provided you have key 1 selected) which will be case sensitive
      from there go up to the top of the page were you will be able to change the name or the SSID of the network. just putting an "x" on the end of the name will do, and the reason for this is to 'trick' the computer into thinking this is a brand new connection it is trying to connect to.
      finally go back to the bottom of the page and click on the apply button.

at this point remove your ethernet cable from either the router or your computer
      try connecting to your newly named network with your new network key
      hope this helps (:

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Wireless help needed!

No one in their right mind should use WEP, especially for a device used for on line banking.

Apart from that, this thread is over 5 years old.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.