Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can i use smartphone over sky wifi.

This is a discussion on Can i use smartphone over sky wifi. within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have just got my first payg andriod smartphone, its a bit daunting at first i am only used to ...

B J
      B J is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Can i use smartphone over sky wifi.

I have just got my first payg andriod smartphone, its a bit daunting at first i am only used to a simple payg candy bar phone.
      Can i use the internet/wifi on the phone for free? while i am at home using the sky wifi router.We have sky bb unlimited and i was thinking i could update apps and browse the internet for free without using up data charges.

If i am barking up the wrong tree please tell me, or steer me in the right direction.
      His name was nut, Mr P Nut.

2. Advertisement
      lettice is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Re: Can i use smartphone over sky wifi.

Simple answer yes, and free.
      If you connect your phone to your home sky broadband wifi, you can download/upload as much as you like, all free.

Do not get confused by the sky wifi app (a service for sky users from a third party the cloud), that is for when you are out and about with a mobile device and a pub, business, restaurant offer you free wifi, it then automatically logs you in as a sky subscriber using your sky id and does not use your 3g/4g mobile data allowance.
      Sky WiFi
      Sky wifi is only one of these, there are many other services like BT wifi that do the same.

What many people do is apps that are data intensive normally have a setting that say do not use data while on 3g/4g, so only become active on your home wifi.
      The top/most popular ones being like iPlayer or sky Go, that both allow you to do this.

Not sure what OS you have, but on android for instance, its worth going to the Google Play Store app and under the app settings, look for Auto update apps and turn on 'Auto update apps over wifi only'.
      You should also do similar for any gallery or photos apps that will sync your photos to the cloud. It will once again be something like 'only sync when on wifi' within the apps settings.
      Last edited by lettice; 07-02-16 at 03:45 PM.

B J
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks lettice very detailed.

I will go through the settings/options you mention to get a grip on things.

In the phone details it says Android version 5.0.2

Also will look at the third party sky wifi app - sounds good because on payg i think data charges would soon be swallowed up.

Thanks

Ok you are on the Lollipop Android version.

If you restrict those app types I mentioned, you can do your email, web surfing and use 'ok google' on 3g/4g now and again when out and about and they will not use much of your data.
      Also, notifications from apps and the OS will use up a small amount wherever you are. It may be worth checking your regular apps for any restrictions for those notifications or stop them.
      One thing to not try on 3g/4g is a speed test, that will blow your data, especially on 4g. In one pass it will start downloading gigs of data for the speedtest.
      You can also check which apps are using most of your data when on mobile under settings and even set warnings if you want.

Have fun exploring, Android is very nice and friendly in its settings configuration.

B J
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      Ok you are on the Lollipop Android version.

If you restrict those app types I mentioned, you can do your email, web surfing and use 'ok google' on 3g/4g now and again when out and about and they will not use much of your data.
      Also, notifications from apps and the OS will use up a small amount wherever you are. It may be worth checking your regular apps for any restrictions for those notifications or stop them.
      One thing to not try on 3g/4g is a speed test, that will blow your data, especially on 4g. In one pass it will start downloading gigs of data for the speedtest.
      You can also check which apps are using most of your data when on mobile under settings and even set warnings if you want.

Have fun exploring, Android is very nice and friendly in its settings configuration.
      Been looking at a few apps like the sky wifi app, but the thing i notice is you give the app a lot of permissions, so there is a lot of "spying" going on. So privacy is well gone if all the apps are the same.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B J View Post
      Been looking at a few apps like the sky wifi app, but the thing i notice is you give the app a lot of permissions, so there is a lot of "spying" going on. So privacy is well gone if all the apps are the same.
      That is not spying (well in that a little bod at sky is not watching your every move, but Im sure for some anonymous data is sent back to sky/the cloud to improve the app and for some legal reasons too), the app would not work without the permissions;

The app persimmons I see from my sky wifi app are;
      Approximate location = this enables the app to find your nearest wifi hotspot when app is searching either via mobile (3g/4g) or when on wifi
      Precise location (gps and network based) = As it suggest really, determines your precise location, when using the app for search for a wifi hotpot and a token to enable your connection.
      Modify/delete/read content of your sd card = you can install it there, thats all and any saved data for the app is stored there
      Add or remove accounts = your sky id needs adding or changing on your device within the app and added to the android accounts section
      Connect and disconnect from wifi = obviously needs this to connect/disconnect to the differing wifi and provide you with ongoing access to the wifi network you have selected via the sky wifi app
      Read google service configuration = This is just checking your sign in status and that your not signed into the app in duplicate.

On wifi hotspot Id say the one thing to always be careful of, is other users scanning the wifi network, so never advisable to be doing your banking or opening up your password document

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lettice For This Useful Post:

B J (12-02-16)

B J
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      That is not spying (well in that a little bod at sky is not watching your every move, but Im sure for some anonymous data is sent back to sky/the cloud to improve the app and for some legal reasons too), the app would not work without the permissions;

The app persimmons I see from my sky wifi app are;
      Approximate location = this enables the app to find your nearest wifi hotspot when app is searching either via mobile (3g/4g) or when on wifi
      Precise location (gps and network based) = As it suggest really, determines your precise location, when using the app for search for a wifi hotpot and a token to enable your connection.
      Modify/delete/read content of your sd card = you can install it there, thats all and any saved data for the app is stored there
      Add or remove accounts = your sky id needs adding or changing on your device within the app and added to the android accounts section
      Connect and disconnect from wifi = obviously needs this to connect/disconnect to the differing wifi and provide you with ongoing access to the wifi network you have selected via the sky wifi app
      Read google service configuration = This is just checking your sign in status and that your not signed into the app in duplicate.

On wifi hotspot Id say the one thing to always be careful of, is other users scanning the wifi network, so never advisable to be doing your banking or opening up your password document
      Ok thanks for the reply.

I will just take small steps at a time until i get more confident of using the phone outside on wifi/hotspots etc.
      Still getting used to the settings but that will come in time.