Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky router & Edimax wireless range extender (EW-7416APn) problem

This is a discussion on Sky router & Edimax wireless range extender (EW-7416APn) problem within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I joined Sky on Tuesday last week and ever since I have been trying to get my Edimax wireless range ...

Wolfgang Et is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Higher Bolton (LCHIG)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky router & Edimax wireless range extender (EW-7416APn) problem

I joined Sky on Tuesday last week and ever since I have been trying to get my Edimax wireless range extender (EW-7416APn) to work with the sky box.

The Set Up: The sky router is connected to the internet and is working (I am only get a 4Mb connection but the Sky engineer is due tomorrow to try to increase it). My Edimax is connected via CAT5 to the Sky router.

What I have tried: When I first got the Sky router I set it like my Virgin Media Super Hub so that all my network connected devices wouldn't need their passwords changing. It seemed to be working fine until I checked signal strength and realised that non of the devices which should be connected to the Edimax are actually connected to the Sky router. I can ping the Sky router from the Edimax and I can ping the Edimax from the Sky router which should indicate the two boxes are physically connected.

Here are all the screen shots from the Edimax:
      Name:  Home.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  182.1 KB
      Name:  System Utility 1.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  235.6 KB
      Name:  Wireless Advanced.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  218.1 KB
      Name:  Wireless MAC Filtering.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  180.7 KB
      Name:  Wireless Security.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  145.7 KB
      Name:  WPS.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  171.4 KB

These are the screenshots from the Sky router (only the ones I have changed):
      Name:  Sky Hub _ Status.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  136.5 KB
      Name:  Sky Hub _ WAN Setup 2.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  75.6 KB
      Name:  Sky Hub _ LAN IP Setup 3.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  70.7 KB

Question: How do I configure the Edimax to communicate with the Sky Router?
      Last edited by Wolfgang Et; 22-11-15 at 11:15 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky router & Edimax wireless range extender (EW-7416APn) problem

I think you should disable the DHCP server on the Edimax. The way you have it set up is causing an address conflict. I also think you should try AP for the mode, instead of AP Bridge Point to Point.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Wolfgang Et (22-11-15)

Wolfgang Et is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Higher Bolton (LCHIG)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Isitme, Thank you it worked a treat.

I know why I had DHCP enabled. It is because while I was trying to get this to work, I enabled DHCP on the Edimax and then disabled it on the router thinking that might make the Edimax assign an address but that didn't work. I should have changed it back but forgot and I didn't realise until you mentioned it.

I wonder what is the difference between AP and AP Bridge Point to Point. I know that Bridge Point to Point is where you have one router connecting to another (which is what I thought I had).

Just to clarify, setting the DHCP to disable and changing the mode to AP works a treat. I now have internet in all rooms at full speed and if I take my laptop from upstairs to downstairs I still get full signal which is exactly what I wanted and needed.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I wonder what is the difference between AP and AP Bridge Point to Point.
      I am not certain, but I think the former is for when you are using an ethernet cable between the routers and the latter when you are connecting purely by wireless.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.