Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Wireless Booster - Speed bottleneck breakthrough!

This is a discussion on Sky Wireless Booster - Speed bottleneck breakthrough! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hey everyone [IMG]file:///C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1

\ clip_image001.png[/IMG]. I'm brand new to the forum so please excuse me if this has already been covered ...

Davidjohnson87 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01388 343
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: TP-Link Archer D2
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky Wireless Booster - Speed bottleneck breakthrough!

Hey everyone [IMG]file:///C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image001.png[/IMG].

I'm brand new to the forum so please excuse me if this has already been covered in a previous thread but I thought I'd like to share a 'workaround' for the white Sky Wireless Booster that I accidentally stumbled across in order to improve it's performance.

It's not ideal as it requires you to add powerline adaptors to the equation but it certainly stops any of the bandwidth strangulation the wireless booster seems to cause and also allows you to use the wireless booster in the blackspot areas of your home without sacrificing speed.

Naturally ethernet ports in standard mode are bidirectional, meaning they can receive information as well as transmitting it. I wondered if using my TP-Link AV500 powerline adaptors would work with the wireless booster to allow the booster to run in access point AND repeater mode simultaneously and avoid the halving effect on speed of this particular range extender/repeater and also bring wifi to areas of your home that your main router just won't reach.

Sky's wireless booster is locked down but as we all know, it's a rebranded Airties Air4400. The Airties model can be programmed to do this through the repeater's web interface but there's no option for that on the Sky model. It appears this mode is automatically active on the Sky booster but any options to modify settings etc are hidden from plain sight.

So how did I manage to discover this? Read below and you'll find out. You do need a set of powerline adaptors to try this method out. FYI, the ones I am using are these:-

TP-LINK PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter Starter Kit- Twin Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

So here's how I did this:-

1. Connect the wireless booster to a pc/laptop/mac etc via an ethernet cable. Plug the booster's power adaptor in and allow the booster to boot up FULLY.

2. Open a web browser and type 'http://skywirelessbooster.local/' into the address bar, minus the quotes of course.

3. Click on the wireless section of the booster's web page and connect to your router using your wireless password.

4. Log out of the booster by clicking 'Logout' at the top of the page.

5. Unplug the ethernet cable an power cable from your booster and place it in the location of your choice in your home.

6. Plug the booster's power adaptor back in but don't turn it on just yet.

7. Plug one of the powerline adaptors into one of your router's LAN ports using an ethernet cable. Plug that powerline adaptor into the mains and turn on. Plug the other powerline adaptor into the wireless booster also using an ethernet cable and power on the powerline adaptor.

8. Run a speed test using your wireless equipped device (laptop/pc/tablet/phone etc) close to your router. Then test the speed close to your wireless booster and you should have a very similar result.

I've been checking this now for 2 weeks and the speed difference between the main router and the wireless booster is negligible.

Give it a go yourself and let me know if it works out for you. Don't go out of your way to purchase one of the Sky Wireless Boosters as there are many better products on the market that are 100 times better than this model, most now support dual band.

I hope this 'guide' helps people make better use of their paperweight, as the Sky booster is more commonly referred to.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky Wireless Booster - Speed bottleneck breakthrough!

Thank you David and welcome to the forum. What you are doing is using the booster as a wireless access point, rather than a wireless booster. Good to know it can be used in this way, but does it mean you have a non secure wireless connection?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

To date I haven't noticed any security issue with using the booster as an access point. I've had friends come over who have had to input the wifi password to gain access to my home network. I've also forgotten the connection and reconnected using my iPad in the room where the booster is located and had to input the password.

i guess it's just broadcasting my existing wifi's username and password.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

AFAIK the booster still has to be in wifi range of the router it is tethered to for this to work.

Thanks

In my case, the booster is completely out of range of my Archer D2. I live in a 3 storey Victorian Workhouse conversion and through experimenting with iPhone, iPad and iMac wifi searching, unless the booster is turned on, there is absolutely no wifi picked up at all.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

I'm aware of the boosters limitations and always tell people that if anything it will make their WiFi slower in the rest of the house. All the booster does is extend the range but at the expense of whole house speed. As you say for better speed a wired second hotspot is better. This is achieved either by Ethernet or powerline extension to the second hotspot and it doesn't affect WiFi speed in the rest of the property.

Unfortunately I'm a "smart ****" when I (sometimes) tell people this is why their WiFi is rubbish.

I've had several broadband suppliers and all their WiFi has been rubbish without wired boosters. Ufortunately lots of people believe adverts are true for other suppliers routers being remarkably better and they won't look at these things until they find the same issues with another provider. Some don't even then and just continually switch providers due to the same issue seemingly.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky