Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Re-use old SR102 as access point

This is a discussion on Re-use old SR102 as access point within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I've acquired an unwanted Sky Hub SR102 (black) from a colleague. I want to configure it as an access point. ...

leedavies166 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re-use old SR102 as access point

I've acquired an unwanted Sky Hub SR102 (black) from a colleague. I want to configure it as an access point. I've tried all of the configuration methods and am able to access the router via 192.168.0.1 so as to change the IP address etc.

There must be some more complicated settings that I am missing. Can anyone help?

It seems to me that it's still trying to use my colleagues details to access the web. Can these be removed and if so how?

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Re-use old SR102 as access point

If you are using it to access the internet there is no need to change any settings. The log in details required are unique to the router, not the user*. If you still have the old Netgear you would be better scrapping it and just use the SR102. It is a much better router and comes with wireless N, which your old one doesn't. I would not bother piggy backing it if that was your intention.

If you want to piggy back it, try following the instructions here- How to connect two Routers together

*Note- If you colleague is using his own router, using the log in details of the HUB, that could cause problems. The system will not allow 2 routers to log in with the same details. One of them would be denied access.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

leedavies166 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you are using it to access the internet there is no need to change any settings. The log in details required are unique to the router, not the user*. If you still have the old Netgear you would be better scrapping it and just use the SR102. It is a much better router and comes with wireless N, which your old one doesn't. I would not bother piggy backing it if that was your intention.

If you want to piggy back it, try following the instructions here- How to connect two Routers together

*Note- If you colleague is using his own router, using the log in details of the HUB, that could cause problems. The system will not allow 2 routers to log in with the same details. One of them would be denied access.
      Thanks for getting back to me.

I've currently got the Sagem router as my main router rather than a NetGear.

I've tried simply hooking up one ethernet port to my CAT6 (and hence my main Sagem router) and the other to my PC but the PC says it can't gain access to the internet. I've changed the static IP of the router.

You say it takes the settings from the router. Surely this means that as the settings on the SR102 are for my colleagues account then it's going to block me getting access on my network? I've read plenty of articles about getting the user account details off the router using WireShark but nothing about reconfiguring to put my own user details on. I believe my colleague has moved to a different provider but will check.

All thoughts welcome. I may just get a cheap naked router of eBay and go with that instead.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You say it takes the settings from the router. Surely this means that as the settings on the SR102 are for my colleagues account then it's going to block me getting access on my network? I've read plenty of articles about getting the user account details off the router using WireShark but nothing about reconfiguring to put my own user details on. I believe my colleague has moved to a different provider but will check.
      You misunderstand me. Sky router login details are unique to the router, not the user. They have no connection with the user unless it is actually logged in and connected, it will then show against the users account. EG When you connect with it, it will show in your account, the fact that it has been used before with another account is of no consequence. Any Sky router will connect to ADSL and any of the routers issued for Fibre will connect to any Sky Fibre account. There is no need to change the login details in any way.

Being newer the SR102 is also better than the Sagem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.