Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Strange disconnections on network

This is a discussion on Strange disconnections on network within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have been having a problem for months now whereby the internet will suddenly drop and come back on within ...

Xenor is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Strange disconnections on network

I have been having a problem for months now whereby the internet will suddenly drop and come back on within a minute. It's frustrating as I am a gamer and disconnecting during a game is not good.

Our network consists of my PC (Windows 7) connected via ethernet, my dad's laptop (Windows 8) connected via wifi and my Android phone connected via wifi. This is all managed by the Sky Sagem F@ST 2504n router.

There seems to be two cases of disconnections and both seem to revolve around the PC.

The first is that the internet will go down just after the PC wakes up from sleep.
      The second can occur anywhere between 10 minutes and 2 hours after the PC is switched on or waked from sleep.
      During this time the router will restart itself before reconnecting.

I say they are related to the PC because it does not happen when my dad's laptop awakens, and there were no problems while my PC was out of action for 3 days over the last weekend. This points to a problem with the PC rather than the broadband so I am reluctant to contact Sky. The thing is this only started occurring earlier this year and before that I never experienced any issues, for years.

I have ruled out a software issue on the PC because while my PC was out of action last weekend I performed a full Windows reinstallation. This did not solve my issue.

I have done some research and disabled the power saving feature on the network adapter when the computer sleeps. I also tried not using sleep since last night and started up the computer from off tonight. Neither have helped.

I also followed some information about reserving IP addresses for devices in the DHCP LAN settings and this did not help.

My next attempted fix will be to install a new network adapter to my PC tomorrow in case the one on my motherboard is faulty. But I feel like I may be wasting my money if this is not the issue.

What do you guys reckon is causing these disconnections? I am lost as to what to try other than throwing money at hardware. Even tempted to buy a wireless card for my PC.

2. Advertisement
      Hedgehog1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01506
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HDw box X2
      Thanks

Re: Strange disconnections on network

Hi Xenor

Do you have the avast security suite on the PC as there have been reports of people who have the same router as you getting disconnects when using avast.

Search this forum for avast and you will find the thread, the link below is for an avast forum where the issue was discussed.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=161465.0

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As an Avast Pro user I was in touch with Avast about this problem when running the 2504n for the IPv6 trials. Unfortunately all I got from Avast was advice to 1) Change the router I was using or 2) Update the firmware. 3) check the link in the Avast forum. As a paying customer I was very disappointed with their attitude and will not be renewing when my subscription is up.

The problem appears to be some sort of incompatibility between the Home network or File System Shield and the Sagem router. Disabling this may cure the problem. I would suggest if you are using Avast Free that you uninstall it and install AVG Free which works without a problem. There is little point in using an AV which requires part of it to be disabled to work.

As for the link in the Avast forum it is worse than useless. The firmware recommended by 'Eddy' their 'expert', is for the Sky+HD box, not the router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the responses guys. I wasn't expecting a potential solution so quick.

You may well be right because I am using Avast (free) with Home Network Security turned on (default). And the problems did seem to start around the end of last year.

If File System Shield also breaks it then there's no point using Avast as you say Isitme. I will install AVG on both mine and my dad's computers and see if this eliminates the problem. Obviously it will take time to test (couple of days should be enough) but I'll come back with my results so that others seeing this can be helped.

Hedgehog1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01506
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HDw box X2
      Thanks

I hope this works for you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Exchange:
      Thanks

I just did a test like what a poster did on the Avast forum. I ran Home Network Security scan manually via Avast and at 74% my internet disconnected as described in my first post.

So yeah I think this almost certainly confirms it is Avast. Time to get rid.

Thanks again guys.