Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Guest setting on my Sky hub wireless.

This is a discussion on Guest setting on my Sky hub wireless. within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Sorry if this question asked before but not noticed it, if it as please direct me. My question is I ...

dnpark38 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01274
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Guest setting on my Sky hub wireless.

Sorry if this question asked before but not noticed it, if it as please direct me.

My question is I read someone that when you have guests in the house it is best to set up a Guest rather than give them the usual Network name/log in details if your system allows this. Does the Sky hub, SR102 do this and if so how please?

2. Advertisement
      juicyfruit1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BRIDGWATER
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Guest setting on my Sky hub wireless.

I'm pretty sure this functionality isn't available on the Sky Hubs

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Hi dnpark38.

I had a vague memory of reading that too & think a router capable of using multiple ssid's is what's needed.
      A little info on that here:
      multiple SSID router

puppet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

The multiple SSID functionality is something that I have to say I miss on the Skyhub. I used to use it on my old Netgear router, it was great for controlling the kid's access to the internet.

I had one 24/7 SSID for my wife and I, the Sky box etc., then another SSID set up for the kids that switched off at a certain time each night. Was a great way to encourage them to go to bed, or turn off if they were misbehaving, lol!

If it's something you really must have, you can still do it with the use of two routers. You have the Skyhub still connected to the phoneline, acting as a modem basically, then you can hook another router capable of multiple SSIDs up to the Skyhub. The second router is then your access point which you connect to wirelessly etc. I did it for a while, and it worked fine, but decided it was daft having two routers powered all the time.

Alternatively, if you can mange to "extract" your Sky username and password out of your existing Sky router/hub, then you could just use another router capable of multiple SSIDs without the need for two routers.
      Last edited by puppet; 25-10-14 at 07:09 PM.