Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using a second router or access point to get Wi-Fi in dead areas of the house?

This is a discussion on Using a second router or access point to get Wi-Fi in dead areas of the house? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hey, my room is a bit of a dead spot and I want to be able to access my PS3, ...

DownloadSpeedof30kbps is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02920
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Using a second router or access point to get Wi-Fi in dead areas of the house?

Hey, my room is a bit of a dead spot and I want to be able to access my PS3, laptop and phone in my room. I usually have an ethernet cable connected to the PS3 from the wireless router for gaming.

Is there any way that I can make this work so I can connect 3 devices at once and without losing any (much?) of my download speed (all 1.65Mbps of it!)?

Would a wireless access point or a second router (connected with an ethernet cable to the first router but not connected to a telephone line) perform the same as the Sky Wireless Booster?

I've got the Sky Wireless Booster but some of my devices disconnect every now and then because they try and jump to the poor connection so I don't plug it in most of the times. I've read that it may work if I change the channels but I'm not sure how to change channel on the booster. My current settings for the wireless router channel are set to 'Auto'. I've currently got my ethernet cable plugged into the wireless booster and I think that gives devices connected to it similar download speeds as a wired connect would.

I'm not very good at explaining things but if anyone has the answer then I'll be over the moon

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Using a second router or access point to get Wi-Fi in dead areas of the house?

If you have an ethernet cable running to your room it is fairly simple to set it up to extend the wireless and give you extra ethernet ports. If you hava an old ADSL router kicking around, follow Scubbie's instruction here - How to connect two Routers together If you have or can buy a standalone router then follow the instructions here - Using the DLink DIR613. This would allow you to have a completely separate network from the rest of the house.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

DownloadSpeedof30kbps (24-07-14)

Thanks

Re: Using a second router or access point to get Wi-Fi in dead areas of the house?

Just a follow up to this

A few weeks ago, the router I was using (Netgear V2 DG934G) as my access point stopped working and I think it's broke. This week, I got Sky Fibre Unlimited in my house and now I have a speed of about 32Mb/s (). I had to plug in a new black wireless router (Sky Hub SR102) though and want to use the white wireless router (Sky Hub SR101) as a wireless access point in my room.

I've tried setting it up as described in the link provided by Isitme but it didn't work. I can't get the internet smiley to work

Is the SR101 not compatible with fibre or something or does it just not work as a wireless access point?

Thanks in advance

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You will not get the internet smiley to light unless you are connected direct to the internet. To use it a an extender it does not need to. Provided you have followed the instructions in this post - How to connect two Routers together it should work perfectly well, just remember to disable the DHCP server or you will get conflicts.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

DownloadSpeedof30kbps (20-12-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You will not get the internet smiley to light unless you are connected direct to the internet. To use it a an extender it does not need to. Provided you have followed the instructions in this post - How to connect two Routers together it should work perfectly well, just remember to disable the DHCP server or you will get conflicts.
      Got it to work after a few times, thanks for all your help