Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Adding a WiFi access point ?

This is a discussion on Adding a WiFi access point ? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all - Long time since I last visited here. I'm helping a friend who has a Sky Broadband (SBVN) ...

rederick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Adding a WiFi access point ?

Hi all - Long time since I last visited here.

I'm helping a friend who has a Sky Broadband (SBVN) ADSL2+ line in a block of flats. He gets a sync speed of 22megabit (3.5db SNRM) and on a wired connection gets good speeds around 19/20 Mbps - using an old Sagem F@ST2504N (FTTC) that I gave him when my Sky FTTC install failed in 2012. (to replace an ancient white netgear).

However his WiFi is being constantly interrupted in the last 6 weeks and it turns out the neighbours have all got nice new routers from Virgin and BT that are flooding all the available channels at 2.4 GHz. Since I would like to keep him supported by Sky, replacing the router is my last resort, and there is no need to connect another router via the DMZ configuration either, as the Sky router features are sufficient.

Just need something with better WiFi, preferably dual band, as all his WiFi devices are 5Ghz N capable.

I was wondering if anyone had found an AP that met this need, or a simple router that could be configured as an AP ? I was considering the TP-Link W8980 as a suitable option, and turn off its DHCP and plug into the Sky Sagem?

Any hints/tips appreciated.
      Last edited by rederick; 26-04-14 at 08:17 PM. Reason: typo
      BT Infinity 2 FTTC (19/09/2012) - Sync: 52 Mbps / 9 Mbps - (Would consider Sky if static IP available).

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Adding a WiFi access point ?

It's not good when the WiFi is saturated.

Certainly 5GHz would be beneficial, but I would check to see what that is like first if you can. The newest routers from VM, BT and TalkTalk all support the 5GHz bands.

As for an alternative, the Netgear Extenders might also be worth looking at:

WiFi Range Extenders | Networking | Home | NETGEAR

The EX6200 look promising but I would recommend double checking the manual first to ensure it can do what you want.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

rederick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Adding a WiFi access point ?

Thanks. I've also found a cheap TrendNet simultaneous dual band AP which could do the trick, at a nice low price. Good idea on testing, I will take my Asus RT-N66U over to my mate's house and try the range, thanks! (TRENDnet TEW-750DAP Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless-N Access Point (600Mbps))
      BT Infinity 2 FTTC (19/09/2012) - Sync: 52 Mbps / 9 Mbps - (Would consider Sky if static IP available).