Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless booster help

This is a discussion on Wireless booster help within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I am now on my second sky wireless booster and after 3 hours on the phone to sky still unable ...

mivec is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless booster help

I am now on my second sky wireless booster and after 3 hours on the phone to sky still unable to get it to connect. Being a bozo when it comes to this sort of thing I have searched the web for fixes but without success. I have it connected to my laptop with the ethernet cable but cannot find the sky booster local page- just says ie unable to find it. If I then take out the booster ethernet cable after trying to connect I cannot connect to the interent unless I switch off and restart my laptop. I have also tried switching off the firewall and trying to find the page on my smartphone. Would really appreciate some help with this.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Wireless booster help

Try plugging the booster into the router using ethernet. Open the routers setting and look for it in Attached Devices, check the address given to the booster and type this into your browser address bar, this will give you access to the boosters settings. The password is sky.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mivec is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Try plugging the booster into the router using ethernet. Open the routers setting and look for it in Attached Devices, check the address given to the booster and type this into your browser address bar, this will give you access to the boosters settings. The password is sky.
      Hi and thanks for the reply. It worked and the booster is now connected- that the good news! The bad news is that it does not seem to make the slightest difference and I have no connection to my WiFi printer with the booster connected. Again many thanks but the booster seems to be a complete waste of time.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

In my opinion, for many situations, the wireless booster is a waste of time.

However, it can be of some benefit if placed in the correct location. Whilst it may seem logical to place it in a deadspot and indeed that seems to be Sky's advice, all you're doing is trying to get a wireless device to connect in a location where you already know there is a problem.

Place the booster in a position where it can get a good signal from your router but can transmit to the deadspot i.e. somewhere around halfway between your router and where you want the boosted signal. Experiment for best placement.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I agree, Sky's advice to set the booster in a 'dead' spot is nonsense, it is always going to struggle. Many are finding that when using the Sky booster the rest of the wireless network slows right down. Connecting through the booster is expected to be slower, but it should not slow down devices connected direct to the Hub. There is new firmware being trialled, but I don't know if it is going to help.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.