Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wireless Setup between Sagem router Laptop & Printer

This is a discussion on Wireless Setup between Sagem router Laptop & Printer within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello & Help Sagem router is giving me access to the internet via laptop (Acer Aspire5315) ... My Printer (Canon ...

stallturn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Wireless Setup between Sagem router Laptop & Printer

Hello & Help
      Sagem router is giving me access to the internet via laptop (Acer Aspire5315) ... My Printer (Canon MX515) is recognised by the router but i cannot print by WiFi via Laptop. printing via USB works ok ...Joe

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Wireless Setup between Sagem router Laptop & Printer

Hello Joe and welcome to the forum.
      In your router settings set a DHCP reservation for your printer using its current IP address.
      This will ensure that the printer will receive the same IP address regardless of the order you switch your equipment on.
      Reinstall the printer driver for the MX515 on your laptop using the latest drivers provided by Canon.
      Accept the offer to print a test page when prompted by the driver installation software.
      Provided the test page prints correctly you should then be able to print from your browser and other applications.
      If not, open the application's printer set-up and ensure that the correct printer has been selected.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Seawright.. thanks for the quick reply, but did't see it until this morning been working on my 'failed' desktop computer.. dead mobo methinks !?
      So firstly... what the the hell is DHCP thingy and where can I find one/it. Eventually I think, I found what you were on about!.. via the Router>advanced>Lan IP setup - use router as a DHCP server (box ticked) added an addr reservation for printer ie.. printer IP addr - gave it a name + mac addr did all this- said to me self Mmmmmm I've cracked it ....No no no... failed again Boss
      So 'seawright' where does we go from here, I'm a feeling it me water were nearly there. Joe

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

When you have made the changes, reboot your router, then the printer so it can pick up the new settings.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Did you reinstall the printer driver for the MX515 on your laptop using the latest drivers provided by Canon as stated in my original reply?

dewdude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verizon
      Broadband ISP: Verizon FiOS (Fibre)
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

So firstly... what the the hell is DHCP thingy and where can I find one/it.

DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol; it is a networking protocol used on networks to allow automatic IP configuration. A computer broadcasts a request to the networking using a special method that communicates to every device on the network asking for a DHCP server. The DHCP server responds to the computer, and after looking up what IPs are free in it's range; it then transmits the assigned IP address, subnet mask, dns servers and gateway address. The card/computer then sets it's network settings according to what DHCP has handed it. It's a way of automatically assigning IP addresses on a network automatically without having to have a network administrator manually look up free IP's and assign them. They are generally built in to routers to assign LAN addresses to all your devices automatically.

Eventually I think, I found what you were on about!.. via the Router>advanced>Lan IP setup - use router as a DHCP server (box ticked) added an addr reservation for printer ie.. printer IP addr - gave it a name + mac addr did all this- said to me self Mmmmmm I've cracked it ....No no no... failed again Boss

Well, you did find it; and provided you have the proper MAC address set in the reservation table; it should keep the IP address of the printer the same. The main reason this is important is because the printer drivers are usually completely unable to deal with the IP address changing. I have another suggestion, before you start reinstalling drivers; let's try telling Windows where the printer is.

Bring up the "Devices and Printers" control panel; you can find it in the control panel but I believe you can find it directly on the start menu under the control panel option.

Once you have your Devices and Printers panel up, find your printer, right click, and select "Printer Properties" (Do not pick Properties at the bottom).

Click the "Ports" tab. You should see a bunch of unchecked ports. You'll likely have a few that are selected, one of them may be network. We're not too concerned about what's selected right now since they're not working. Here's mine for example:

Look at the ports that are check marked, one of them probably says USB, the other may say "NETWORK" or have an IP address or something. First of all, you should make sure your PC isn't trying to print to USB. If USB is checked here; then look for something that might look like network, select it; try again.

If USB wasn't checked and/or it still won't print over the network; we may need to just update the IP. Go back to the Printer Properties window on the Port tab. Click the "Add New Port" button and select "Standard TCP/IP Port", then click New Port.

On the next window, it will prompt you for the IP address; enter the IP of your printer, it will automatically fill in the name with the IP. After you click next, if the IP address is correct; it will quickly pop up a confirmation window.

Try printing and see if that works. If it does; you shouldn't have any more problems unless the IP changes because the reservation didn't work. If that's the case, you simply need to go back to the Ports tab, select the network port, and click configure port. You can update the IP there.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dewdude For This Useful Post:

stallturn (24-02-14)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Wow!!...thanks to you all, tried all your sugestions still no joy
      dewdude.. well presented guide..don't know how you do it !?.. but I get to the point of a new port entry after highlighting ''Standard TCP/IP Port'' then onto TCP/IP Printer port wizard. When asked to enter Printer name or IP Addr in the boxes am unable to do so (192:etc) the computer bleeps on tiying to type the ''colon :'' so unable to go further.
      More guidence or a clip around the ear for being so dumb is called for I think ...Joe

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

When asked to enter Printer name or IP Addr in the boxes am unable to do so (192:etc) the computer bleeps on tiying to type the ''colon :''
      You do not use colons when entering an IP address only full stops to separate the octets. ie 192.168.0.xxx Colons are only used for secondary addresses, eg 192.168.0.xx:8080. Colons are always used as the separartors in Mac addresses. eg. 7c:4c:a5:89:7c:6e

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dewdude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verizon
      Broadband ISP: Verizon FiOS (Fibre)
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Colons are only used for secondary addresses, eg 192.168.0.xx:8080.

The port. The number after a colon on an IP address or hostname specify the connection port.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Fella's

Blimey this aint half difficult - still no work boss - Port/Tab setting now (IP_192.169.0.3) - (Standard TCP/IP Port) - (Canon MX510 series printer) - on completing port wizard - SNMP= No; Protocol = Raw port 9100; Device = 192.168.0.3; Port Name = IP_192.168.0.3; Adapter = Generic Network Card
      Still would not print wirelessly?? Powered down Laptop,printer,Router..no joy.
      Had some consolation though from a local computer shop wizz kid says he finds it very difficult and gave up in the end I'm saying don't quit yet Joe, so any other wizardry available me/us Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast