Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky 'On Demand' adaptor - can I reconfigure

This is a discussion on Sky 'On Demand' adaptor - can I reconfigure within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I acquired a Sky 'On Demand' Wifi adaptor sometime ago but never used it (I have LAN). I was wondering ...

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Sky 'On Demand' adaptor - can I reconfigure

I acquired a Sky 'On Demand' Wifi adaptor sometime ago but never used it (I have LAN). I was wondering if I could reconfigure the 'On Demand' adaptor to act as a WiFi AP repeater and as it looks identical to the now 'free' WiFi booster (except it's black) I tried connecting the 'On Demand' box to my laptop with it's LAN cable. However I can't access the set up page. Anyone know the procedure or even if it's possible?

I assume the 'On Demand' adaptor is set up as a WiFi bridge, or am I wrong? I also assume the supplied cable is Patch and not Crossover but is that correct?

Any help appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky 'On Demand' adaptor - can I reconfigure

You should be able to access the connectors login page at http://skywirelessconnector.local/login.html

I think the supplied lead is patch but either the Sky STB or wireless connector, perhaps both, auto negotiate as I have used patch and xover.
      If the ethernet port LEDs on the connector and laptop illuminate then all should be well.
      If still no joy try using a pin to reset the connector back to factory defaults.

Don't know if it is possible to post xml to /cgi-bin/webapp to change the mode but there doesn't appear to be a setting in the web UI to do it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

dms05 (26-01-14)

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      You should be able to access the connectors login page at http://skywirelessconnector.local/login.html

I think the supplied lead is patch but either the Sky STB or wireless connector, perhaps both, auto negotiate as I have used patch and xover.
      If the ethernet port LEDs on the connector and laptop illuminate then all should be well.
      If still no joy try using a pin to reset the connector back to factory defaults.

Don't know if it is possible to post xml to /cgi-bin/webapp to change the mode but there doesn't appear to be a setting in the web UI to do it.
      I tried using the connection page suggestion but I simply had 'not available' returned. I then tried a few other things without success.

I closely examined the supplied LAN cable and the wires are connected straight through so it's a patch cable.

Just to prove the adaptor is working I used it in its designed role as a bridge from my router to my HD box (with LAN disconnected!) and it worked OK.

However thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks

It works fine for me but I'm using a desktop PC which doesn't have wi-fi. I take it that the LEDs next to the sockets at both ends of your patch cable are illuminated.

If you have your laptop's wi-fi turned on it may be sending DNS queries direct to your router via wi-fi. In which case it won't be able to resolve an IP address for skywirelessconnector.local as this is known only to your Sky wireless connector.

Provide both LEDs on the front of the connector are illuminated try turning off your laptop's wi-fi and check again. If still no joy try running ipconfig /all at a command prompt to ensure your ethernet connection has been allocated an IP address and if not run the network repair wizard but still leave wi-fi switched off.

Thanks

Please note. This information applies to the black Sky Wireless Connector. Not the mini wireless connector without an Ethernet socket or the white Sky Wireless Booster.

If you want to use your Sky Wireless connector to provide a wireless connection to a desktop PC and it hasn't already been configured with the SSID and password of your router the easiest way is to connect it to your Sky box and use the network settings screen to configure it.
      Failing that without a network cable connected reset the device back to factory defaults using a pin inserted in the hole next to the power supply socket. You need to hold in in for approximately ten seconds with power applied until both front panel LEDs start flashing yellow.

Next configure your PC's network settings manually to:
      ip address 90.223.243.226
      netmask 255.255.255.248

and connect directly to the wireless connector using an ethernet cable.

In your browser go to:
      http://90.223.243.225/stbadmin?info
      and information about the connector should be displayed.

http://90.223.243.225 with Username "admin" and password "sky".

Click on the wireless tab and wait for your router to be discovered.
      Select your router's SSID and type in the password when prompted.
      Click, "Connect" and you will be presented with the following warning:
      You are about to connect this device to your existing Access Point. Note that the IP address of the device may also change.
      After clicking "OK" and waiting as requested the wireless LED on the front of the connector will illuminate.

In addition to information about the connector http://90.223.243.225/stbadmin?info will now show information about the connection including SSID, channel and signal strength.
      To connect to the internet you now need to go back into the computers network settings and set them to find an IP address automatically.

Zino_Jones is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Please note. This information applies to the black Sky Wireless Connector. Not the mini wireless connector without an Ethernet socket or the white Sky Wireless Booster.

If you want to use your Sky Wireless connector to provide a wireless connection to a desktop PC and it hasn't already been configured with the SSID and password of your router the easiest way is to connect it to your Sky box and use the network settings screen to configure it.
      Failing that without a network cable connected reset the device back to factory defaults using a pin inserted in the hole next to the power supply socket. You need to hold in in for approximately ten seconds with power applied until both front panel LEDs start flashing yellow.

Next configure your PC's network settings manually to:
      ip address 90.223.243.226
      netmask 255.255.255.248

and connect directly to the wireless connector using an ethernet cable.

In your browser go to:
      http://90.223.243.225/stbadmin?info
      and information about the connector should be displayed.

http://90.223.243.225 with Username "admin" and password "sky".

Click on the wireless tab and wait for your router to be discovered.
      Select your router's SSID and type in the password when prompted.
      Click, "Connect" and you will be presented with the following warning:

After clicking "OK" and waiting as requested the wireless LED on the front of the connector will illuminate.

In addition to information about the connector http://90.223.243.225/stbadmin?info will now show information about the connection including SSID, channel and signal strength.
      To connect to the internet you now need to go back into the computers network settings and set them to find an IP address automatically.
      After doing all that mine is stuck on an Firmware Upgrade screen and wont go to Login. No matter where I click, it keeps showig the Firmware Upgrade page. Help

Thanks

I don't have my connector any more so can't check what I'm saying but at a guess I'd say that either the firmware is corrupted or that a firmware upgrade was interrupted. If the screen you are stuck on is responsive can you point it to the location of the firmware file "AirTies_SC201_FW_1.0.7.4.bin" and check if it will successfully load the firmware? Check my other post on this subject:
      Sky's New Wireless Connector

JDA
      JDA is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

A little late, but I've just managed to reconfigure an older (mini Sky box style) Sky Wireless Connector. This is a Netgear WG902 and is the one that doesn't have a proper GUI accessible by default, just gives the firmware upgrade page.

The default management IP for this one, as stated above, is 90.223.243.225, but...

The default GUI allows a firmware upgrade only! So to get to the proper Netgear GUI and reconfigure you need to go to:

http://90.223.243.225/test/index.html
      U/N: testuser
      P/W: Aftufnos6

Straightforward from there, has all the config options you'd expect for a wireless bridge.

N.B. Firmware source code is downloadable from https://kb.netgear.com/2649/NETGEAR-...rogrammers-GPL under "WG902 / WG902-4SKUKS".

Direct link: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/fi...rc.tar.bz2.zip.

URL info is in the file alias.c, authentication info in defaults.c.