Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Will 500mbps homeplugs allow me to stream movies to Iomega Screenplay Director?

This is a discussion on Will 500mbps homeplugs allow me to stream movies to Iomega Screenplay Director? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Having read numerous threads on this issue, I wonder if someone can advise me on my specific set up please? ...

Franchise_mark is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01903
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Will 500mbps homeplugs allow me to stream movies to Iomega Screenplay Director?

Having read numerous threads on this issue, I wonder if someone can advise me on my specific set up please?

My PC runs Windows 7, and is directly connected to the new Sky Hub 2.0 by ethernet cable. The Iomega Screenplay Director is connected to the network using Devolo 85 mbps homeplugs. The Screenplay Director can see the PC and read the folders but trying to stream the movies on the PC results in jerky playback, freezing frequently. Will replacing with 500 mbps homeplugs solve the problem?

We should hopefully have access to FTTC broadband this year, and I have read that the faster plugs would be needed to take advantage of the increased speed.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

2. Advertisement
      coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: pfSense 2.3.4(i386)
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Re: Will 500mbps homeplugs allow me to stream movies to Iomega Screenplay Director?

Unfortunately the thing with homeplugs is you have to just suck it and see, everything is so dependant on the type/condition of your wiring. 500Mbps plugs function well at my home but don't even match my 40 Mbps internet speeds, I would recommend buying some from somewhere like Argos online. Then in the circumstance they are not for you returning them to the store will be possible because of distance selling regulations as long as you are extremely careful with the packaging.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to coipu For This Useful Post:

Franchise_mark (21-01-14)

audioslim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Failsworth
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Will 500mbps homeplugs allow me to stream movies to Iomega Screenplay Director?

I use zyxel 200mb/s and hi-def vid's are all fine, but as said above its all dependent upon your wireing and noise.

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Agree with the previous posts. I have 3 x Solwise 200AV units and have had no problems streaming, however all homeplug speeds are dependent on distance and quality of wiring.

Franchise_mark is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01903
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Thanks to all for the useful replies.

I took your advice coipu and ordered a pair of TP-Link AV500 adapters from Amazon ( so they could be returned if necessary). The good news is that they seem to work just fine, and the movies are streaming from the PC to the TV via the Iomega Screen play Director without freezing etc.