Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Wireless Booster query?

This is a discussion on Wireless Booster query? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I suppose the main question is given that the booster instructions say one thing and a different thing happened is ...

Schrodinger56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Wireless Booster query?

I suppose the main question is given that the booster instructions say one thing and a different thing happened is the booster set up properly. I have to say though since installing the booster the connection has started to drop out every so often!!

I have 100ft garden so when the weather gets better I'll try to access the internet from the bottom of the garden to see if the signal reaches down there.

2. Advertisement
      audioslim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Failsworth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger56 View Post
      I have 100ft garden so when the weather gets better I'll try to access the internet from the bottom of the garden to see if the signal reaches down there.
      I've unplugged the booster now myself. Its a waste of bandwidth for us, just slows down wireless by a lot.

Such a shame that Sky are wasting good money on suppliying these devices foc when they should actualy be supplyiong a router which has modern standards for wireless rather than churning out the same 5 year old innerds in a new case each time.

buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR-102
      Thanks

Perhaps I'm biased as I've spent the last few days endlessly dealing with customers' problems with it, but the booster seems to be a bit of a turkey. Especially with Fibre. Hate to say it, but I saw it coming.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Don't misunderstand me, but the Booster will resolve a few issues for many people out there.

Sure it isn't a solution for someone after speed, but it isn't being advertised in that manner.

The Booster provides an opportunity to make a WiFi signal available, and perhaps a 'satellite group' of devices in an area of a home without the need to run Ethernet cables or the use of HomePlugs.

Yes there are other solutions. Often they will be better, but from the perspective of simplicity, the Booster works.

Yes there are HomePlugs with built-n WiFi. We also have a guide on this forum to allow you to utilise an old WiFi router to provide an Access Point away from the main router.

Each option needs to be looked at in the context of the specific environment and budget of the person who wants this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buddbuttocks View Post
      Perhaps I'm biased as I've spent the last few days endlessly dealing with customers' problems with it, but the booster seems to be a bit of a turkey. Especially with Fibre. Hate to say it, but I saw it coming.
      I don't rate it very highly either, especially if you put it in a black spot as the guide advises. My findings are if you put it in a position where you have a reasonably strong signal it will then improve the situation a bit further from the router where the signal is usually poor or no-existent. I found it was completely ineffective when placed in a black spot, my garage(detached) in this instance. Placing it in a room nearest the garage where there was a good signal resulted in extending the signal into the garage, not a great signal, but usable nevertheless. There is rumoured to be updated firmware coming that will further improve the device.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

audioslim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Failsworth
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I don't rate it very highly either, especially if you put it in a black spot as the guide advises. My findings are if you put it in a position where you have a reasonably strong signal it will then improve the situation a bit further from the router where the signal is usually poor or no-existent. I found it was completely ineffective when placed in a black spot, my garage(detached) in this instance. Placing it in a room nearest the garage where there was a good signal resulted in extending the signal into the garage, not a great signal, but usable nevertheless. There is rumoured to be updated firmware coming that will further improve the device.
      It will be ineffective in a blackspot, it needs to sit half way between router and the blackspot.

Its a poor sticky plaster for the poor wireless on the sky hub and nothing more as far as I'm concerned.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

I've been telling people about it (because it's free) but I have always said it won't improve the wireless speed, just the range that the connection is accessible over.

Sky apparently have run-out of boosters already and there is now a waiting-list for boosters.
      Please make sure you register for the booster by 31st Jan if you are an existing customer and especially if you don't have an N router or newer as the new router offer is definitely ending on 31st Jan.

The booster offer for new bb customers has a few more months to run (the link for this is emailed to customer within a week of activation - so make sure Sky have the correct email address).
      Scubbie likes this.

mikelane is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pinner
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

Wireless Booster query?

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      I've been telling people about it (because it's free) but I have always said it won't improve the wireless speed, just the range that the connection is accessible over.
      I think that word Booster is wrong. Although I get a stronger signal around the house, the speed is much lower than it was. I might just disconnect it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikelane View Post
      I think that word Booster is wrong. Although I get a stronger signal around the house, the speed is much lower than it was. I might just disconnect it.
      So your signal is boosted? Exactly as it says on the box and in the Sky blurb. There were never any claims it would increase speeds.

We only use the Sky Hub for phones and a tablet so speed isn't an issue here. A separate router connected by cable supplies a 5GHz signal that works fine for the devices that need the full connection speed.

seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Shame that the booster can't be used as an wi-fi AP but noting its similarity to Sky's wi-fi adaptor (not mini) I connected it in place of same and yes it works. There isn't the facility to set the SSID or password from the Sky box's network settings screen but it can be preset using a PC or by WPS. Probably not a good idea to use it in the same room as your router though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast