Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless Booster as an Access Point

This is a discussion on Wireless Booster as an Access Point within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Can the Sky Wireless Booster I have just received act as an Access Point without any changes being made? I've ...

ant_thomas is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blackfriars
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless Booster as an Access Point

Can the Sky Wireless Booster I have just received act as an Access Point without any changes being made? I've had a look in the web interface and there certainly isn't any options regarding being an AP.

I have plenty of Cat5 in place around the house and I'd like to put the booster in a place where there is absolutely no WiFi signal but I do have Cat5 running to that location.

So basically, does the WiFi booster need a WiFi signal to operate? Or can it use my existing wired network for connectivity?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Wireless Booster as an Access Point

I am fairly sure it is a booster or extender. To operate it has to connect by wireless to the main AP. It should then be possible to plug a switch or other device into it which does not have wireless. An old router will do what you want.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

ant_thomas is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blackfriars
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I am fairly sure it is a booster or extender. To operate it has to connect by wireless to the main AP. It should then be possible to plug a switch or other device into it which does not have wireless. An old router will do what you want.
      Thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the case.

I've currently got an old Sky Sagem f@st 2504n router doing that job but it has never been so fast or reliable, even when it was being used as a router so was looking to replace it on the cheap (free!)

Thanks

You could connect the booster to the Sagem 2504N. That may give you a better wireless connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

reech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Penn
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You could connect the booster to the Sagem 2504N. That may give you a better wireless connection.
      The instructions say specifically not to site it too near the router, as it will cause interference.

After configuring it, you're supposed to move it away from the router to a 'nearly dead spot' so it can pick up and throw the signal onwards. It doesn't work as a separate wireless access point, just as a booster.
      ---reech---

Thanks

Its got to be a position where it can pick up a full signal. If it is placed too far away it will only give you the strength it is receiving from the main router. If it is receiving a weak signal then that's all it will transmit. In the OP's case the Sagem is outside the range of the main router so the booster could be used with it to increase the wireless coverage.

TomD

Useful Utilites

audioslim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Failsworth
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I'm hoping it can be hacked to turn it into a fully functioning WAP. Looking at the Airties 4400 spec it looks like it might be possible.
      Much more use, wireless extenders are pretty lame by all accounts.