Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky SR101 & Netgear WG111T adapter

This is a discussion on Sky SR101 & Netgear WG111T adapter within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello PC running Windows XP Pro SP2 Wireless USB adapter Netgear WG111T USB 2.0 Router is SR101 with FW: 1.15j.2639.R ...

oojafink is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207373****
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky SR101 & Netgear WG111T adapter

Hello

PC running Windows XP Pro SP2
      Wireless USB adapter Netgear WG111T USB 2.0
      Router is SR101 with FW: 1.15j.2639.R

My landlady recently moved from Be broadband, and my Netgear WG111T adapter worked fine with the ISP's provided Technicolor router. In fact I've used the adapter with a number of routers and never had an issue.

So now we have an SR101 router and I can't get it to serve up an IP address for love nor money. It finds the wireless network fine, and I'm guessing the WPA2 passkey is accepted as it doesn't throw back an error once I've entered and applied the passkey.
      I am left with the "Limited or no connection" status for the network connection. Trying "repair" just leaves it trying to renew the IP for ages. Beyond that I tried to set a static network IP and still no dice. Btw, I did an ipconfig command and sure enough it's not getting a 192.... address

Short story is that I googled around and tried a few supposed fixes which didn't work (changing auto b&g config to g only/changing channel/shouting at it). I saw two mentions of the WG111T not liking WPA2 that much, and several people saying simply "get a new adapter".

So my first question is a) Is there anything else I haven't tried that has worked in previous same-issue circumstances, and b) If I'm urinating into the wind, can someone suggest a good cheap USB wireless adapter that is known to work fine with the SR101 using WPA2 encryption?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Sky SR101 & Netgear WG111T adapter

The Netgear adaptor you have been using used a non-Standard WiFi speed that Netgear used with some of their routers, including the DG834GT.

I was a modified WiFi g speed of 108mbps. I think that this may be relevant. WiFi g didn't originally support WPA2, only WEP which is not secure and can be hacked by a 10 year old. Check the Netgear site to see if there is an updated driver though. You must also update your computer to support WPA2. SP2 is not secure and easily hackable.

I am trying to recall if SP2 was the first version which allowed WPA2 to be supported or if it were SP3. I think it was SP2.

The signal strength of the Sky Hub should be a lot better than what you had before and I would suggest that you would be better off getting a newer WiFi n dongle.

If you could get one that supports 300mbps this IMHO would be best. Although the Sky Hub SR101 only supports upto 144mbps, this is on a single channel. Adapters working like this are rare. A 300mbps adaptor can work on both a single or paired channel. When using the single channel would support the full 144mbps.

Looking at Amazon there are a range of adaptors starting from around 11.

If your budget allows you might wish to consider a dual-band adaptor and/or one that works at up to 450mbps. If you are looking for a new laptop it will most likely come with a WiFi n adapter so you are only likely to use it on this computer as it would be better IMHO to get a new PC with a built-in adaptor or a laptop.

An alternative option would be to forget WiFi and get a pair of HomePlugs.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to answer, Scubbie.

Actually it all fits. I think I exagerrated slightly on the number of routers is worked on before. My old router was a DG834GT and if I remember correctly, I was using WPA-PSK on that. When I moved to my current residence, I'm pretty sure the Be router was set to WEP as it was a standard HexDec key (which having knowledge of WepCrack I appreciate is a doddle to crack).

The PC is old and not used often (I use it for ripping/encoding and document management), but I will certainly look into upgrading to SP3. I think at the time it became available there was some minor reason I didn't upgrade.

I run Linux Mint 12 on an Asus eeepc 1005HA and this works fine with the new Sky router.

Thank you for all the additional info. I think it's best that I just get a new wireless NIC, but at least I now know what to look out for.

I do have a spare pair of Trendnet ethernet over mains adapters, however I'm in a pretty big victorian house which 1) has an elderly landlady that is paranoid about me touching anything to do with the internet (I have yet to tell her that I need to change the SR101's default password...) 2) I'm not sure my room is on the same ring as the upstairs power, which is where the SR101 is located.

Thanks again for the useful and in-depth advice and help!

Thanks

No problem.

The only way to check your HomePlugs is to give them a try.

Do remember that M$ intend to stop all support for Windows XP from 8th April 2014.

Microsoft Support Lifecycle

After this time it is likely that most software vendors will also stop supplying new software which is compatible with Windows XP too, as they did for Window 98. This will included AV software, which could be a security issue. I am still debating what to do with a couple of computers I have which run Windows XP and may well have to consider Linux for one, but another I suspect is a little too long in the tooth so may be retired.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

oojafink (03-12-13)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If no one else is using the router for wireless you could try changing the wireless mode from Auto to '54g Auto'. You could also change the Security to WPA-PSK with TKIP+AES. I know some will say WPA is not secure, but unless you have a knowledgeable hacker within range, which is unlikely, there is not much to worry about.

This was the adapter supplied by Sky and I can't remember anyone complaining when the N standard routers were introduced.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi Istitime

I already tried forcing it to various 'g' modes as I had read that the WG111T may be confused with a g and b auto setting.

I was thinking about using WPA with TKIP+AES. And whilst pondering this, I noticed that WPS was enabled. I have never used WPS (had it available on a Netgear DG1000N I think) and it jogged my memory as to what the 8 digit PIN my landlady have me was for. Then I remember coming across a blog post about a little app (which I think is already part of BackTrack). After some googling around I found this paragraph:

"This exploit defeats WPS via an intelligent brute force attack to the static WPS PIN. By guessing the PIN, the router will actually throw back, whether or not the first four digits (of eight) are correct. Then, the final number is a checking number used to satisfy an algorithm. This can be exploited to brute force the WPS PIN, and allow recovery of the WPA password in an incredibly short amount of time, as opposed to the standard attack on WPA.

Does anyone know if this is something that has been addressed in the SR101?

Thanks

Without giving any details (for security reasons), if you do have someone attempting too many times to connect using the WPS and failing, the SR101 and SR102 lock out for a period of time, so yes that issue has been addresses.