Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

TP-Link TD-W8960n router connection issues

This is a discussion on TP-Link TD-W8960n router connection issues within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, I'm having issues getting my new TP-Link TD-W8960n router to connect to Sky broadband. I'm 100% sure we ...

Zechk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

TP-Link TD-W8960n router connection issues

Hi all,

I'm having issues getting my new TP-Link TD-W8960n router to connect to Sky broadband.

I'm 100% sure we have typed the username and password correctly but the router will not establish a connection with Sky.

Additional details are:

PPPoA selected
      VCP/VCI: 0/38
      MTU: set to 1500 on advice I found on the net - can't see how the transfer unit size would be causing auth issues anyway.

Sky supplied a pin along with the username and password, but I can't locate anywhere I can input this. It's also worth mentioning that I currently don't have access to the router sky supplied (I'll be taking it back to the location shortly if I can't get this to work!), so I can't currently test the connection with that to rule out wiring issues within the property or whatever.

Sky are being their usual helpful selves and refusing to help if we are using a third party router.

I don't suppose anyone has any advice on what else I can try, it's driving me nuts that it won't authenticate.

Many thanks

Zechk

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: TP-Link TD-W8960n router connection issues

I'm 100% sure we have typed the username and password correctly but the router will not establish a connection with Sky.
      and
      Sky supplied a pin along with the username and password,
      That makes me wonder if you are using the correct username and password. Sky will not usually supply these, you have to extract them from your Sky router yourself.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Zechk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Interesting, very interesting. So when I opened up the box that the Sky router came in, there was a label on the lid and a small matching card with a username, password and pin on it. I assumed these were the ADSL details.

Are you saying I'd need to establish the connection with the Sky router first, run the third party tool to extract the real username and password that the sky router is authenticating with, and then use those details to set up my TP-link router?

Please note, I need to update my profile info as I'm actually setting up broadband for my grandparents, so the info on what package I'm on associated with my account is incorrect at the moment. I don't think that should have any baring on the connection issue though.

Many thanks for the help so far.

Zechk

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

there was a label on the lid and a small matching card with a username, password and pin on it. I assumed these were the ADSL details.
      No these are just the username and password you need to get into the router settings. These are admin and sky and this applies to all Sky routers. The pin and wireless key are different on each router.

Methods of obtaining the user details for the different routers can be found here-all being the work of members of this forum -
      For the 2 Netgears and the Sagems, https://www.cm9.net/skypass/

For the Dlink - https://sites.google.com/site/pihsnodnaba/routerstats

For the SR101 & 102 - http://routerconfig.me/legacy/sky/Obtain%20you%20Sky%20username%20and%20password%20f rom%20your%20FTTC%20enabled%20router%20v2.pdf

There is one point I should mention and that is if the line uses MER only, as opposed to PPPoA/MER or PPPoA only, the number of routers that can be used is very restricted.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.