Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Looking for help + advice about intermittent connection.

This is a discussion on Looking for help + advice about intermittent connection. within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Basically my connection every 1 minute or so will go completely dead for a second or two, and then come ...

gowiththeflowdb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Looking for help + advice about intermittent connection.

Basically my connection every 1 minute or so will go completely dead for a second or two, and then come back. Whilst that might seem not a major issue, it interupts any streaming service, (radio,tv etc) many of which need to be hard reset to regain any movement.

This is incredibly frustrating for internet radio, iplayer , games etc.

I think it might be because of the age of the wireless router, which I am considering upgrading to a non-sky one (I'm not going to pay a ridiculous amount for that skyhub), would this work; TP-Link TD-W8960N 300MBPS Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router for BT connections: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories ? I'm fairly technologically literate and I have found workarounds for the fact you're not meant to use 3rd party routers.

Does anybody have advice as to what might be causing these drops in connection if not the router? I have a new and decent dongle/reciever, I have changed channels, changed to open dns, opened ports, tried with firewall off, to very limited avail. I suspect the router and perhaps the microfilter could be the weakest links, I have a microfilter ordered, but not a router.

Thank you very much for any advice in advance, much appreciated, I'm at a bit of the end of a tether whcih this problem and calling sky to talk to 5000 robots followed by somebody equally as clueless as I doesn't really appeal.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Looking for help + advice about intermittent connection.

That router would be fine. However, before you take the plunge check what Network Mode your line is using. If it is PPPoA then you have no problems, but if your line is one of those which is MER only, there is a limited number of routers you can use. You can check your Network type by going to the router status page or under the WAN port status on the Router Stats pane.

You might want to download and use Inssider to discover the wireless networks in your area and the channels they are using, link below. If you are in an area which has a lot of overlapping wireless networks it may pay you to get a dual band router as the 5mhz band is usually quite clear. It will be more expensive, but worth it in the end.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks, it is indeed MER , I will consider the router you linked, could you advise a dual band alternative too? Cheers.

Thanks

Before you decide anything, can you try this please. Open up the router stats page and click the Connection settings link at the bottom. Click the Disconnect button, then click the Connect button. Watch the space opposite Negotiation and it may show PPPoA/MER if it does your line will also use PPPoA, which many do. I don't know any other way to check other than try to connect a router using PPPoA. Maybe someone else knows another way.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry that is a total brainfart on my part, i meant it uses PPPoA, and about the traffic, I notice dual band is much more expensive, at what point would you say it becomes worth it?

Thanks

That is up to you really, if you are in an area which is flooded with 2.4mhz networks, then the 5 mhz band will give you much better reception. As you say they are much dearer than a single band, the cheapest being around 50. This one from TPlink is a good buy as gives you dual band, gigabit LAN ports and 2 USB ports which allows you to connect a HDD and a printer to your network. Everything you could want from a home router, the downside being that it costs over 70. http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TD-W...m_cr_pr_sims_t

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

the lan ports and usb ports I won't really need, the only consideration if whether or not I need dual band, I guess for a future investment it might be worthwhile, there are 3 other nearby wifi connections with over 3 bars of strength, and various others lower, such is suburbia and I guess this could be the level of conflict you are talking about?

Thanks very much for your time by the way, should I ignore the low review scores for the one you linked on amazon? 76 1 star reviews and various problems is quite high.

Thanks

I think you have to balance the 76 1* reviews against the 500+ 4 and 5 * reviews. One of the advantages of buying from Amazon is their return procedure. If you are not happy it will be replaced or refunded without question. As you say it may be overkill for what you want, about the cheapest of the dual band routers is the Belkin N450, but it does not get very good reviews. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=1&s=computers

TomD

Useful Utilites