Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Network homeplugs now not working?!

This is a discussion on Network homeplugs now not working?! within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi. I have tplink adapters. They have worked ok for a few months now, but not something odd is happening. ...

srk1407 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Network homeplugs now not working?!

Hi.

I have tplink adapters. They have worked ok for a few months now, but not something odd is happening. My house has 3 major sockets circuits.

Front House (Circuit A)
      Back House (Circuit B)
      Kitchen. (Circuit C)

My router is in the study at the front of the house (Circuit A). I have TP Link PA411's. I have 2 of them plugged in. One obviously in the study next to the router and the other at the back of the house upstairs to extend the wireless network via a 2nd router. Everything worked ok until a couple of weeks ago. If I plug them both into circuit A then all is well, but if i connect one to circuit A and one to B, it does not work. If I connect to C, it does work. I have also purchased another Tp Link AV200 to lose the additional router and this does the same.

Now it used to work ok. The house is brand new and I have tried unplugging everything in Circuit B, but it does not work.

Can anyone give me an suggestions?!

Thanks in advance for your help.
      regards

Scott

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Network homeplugs now not working?!

Personally I would look into running an Ethernet cable behind the wall, up through the loft and back down into another room and forget the HomePlugs.

You can terminate each end with a nice RJ45 socket:

If you use Cat 5e cable you will be able to run a 1Gbit LAN if required now or in the future.

If you want to, you could always install a Network Switch in the loft. From there you could easily feed between multiple rooms.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

If I understand your post correctly A-C works but A-B doesn't and B-C doesn't work either. If this is correct it would indicate that a fault may have occurred in circuit B. I assume that all the power circuits are ring mains and wonder if anything could have happened to cause a break in the ring. This would not be immediately apparent as all sockets would continue to operate normally. Has any work been carried out on the power circuits particularly around the time that the network fault occurred? Do you have a multimeter with which to perform a few simple tests?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Scubbie.

Its a brand new house and really dont fancy putting cabling in the walls. Its all nice and shiny, so I do not want to damage them. The problem with it being do new is that the walls downstairs are bricked, so i cannot get the signal through!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yup your right seawright! For the life of me I cannot work it out. It is a brand new house. I have posted on another forum and they have told me to reset the fuse board, which i shall try when i get home. I do have a multi meter though. What would I be looking for and how does these work?

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Provided you feel happy to remove and replace a socket on the affected circuit unplug all appliances from that circuit and switch off the miniature circuit breaker at the consumer unit that supplies this circuit. If there is anyone else in the property ensure that they will not try remaking the breaker whilst you are working on the socket. Temporarily plug a table lamp or similar appliance into the socket and switch both lamp and socket on to confirm that it is dead. Remove the two screws holding the socket and carefully pull the socket away from the wall. Through visual inspection check that there are two incoming cables and that each terminal on the socket has two wires attached. The earth terminal may have a third wire attached to a terminal on the mounting box. If all looks correct using the multimeter switched to 250V AC or next higher range measure between the line (L) and neutral (N) terminal to double check that the circuit is dead. Switch the multimeter to measure insulation (or highest resistance range) and retest to check insulation is ideally infinity but in any case greater than 10 Megohms. Next unscrew the line terminal and remove the two wires which as you are in a new property should have brown insulation. With the two wires separated check for continuity between them using the multimeter switched to continuity or the lowest resistance range. The measured value should be less than 1 ohm. If slightly greater short out the test leads and check the zero adjustment of the meter. Re-secure the brown wires and perform the same test with the blue wires from the neutral terminal. An open circuit in either of these readings would indicate a break in the ring main which would be best investigated by a qualified electrician. If all checks are ok replace all leads and re-secure the socket prior to switching the power back on.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for all your help with this. I have tried all this and even swapped the breaker. No joy. I now have lost the will to live with this and may look at buying a wifi repeater. Not sure if they are any good though. I do have 2 routers here and not sure if I can get them to do the same job?!

Enough of pulling my hair out.....its beer o'clock!

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

I appreciate your reluctance to make some holes and run some cables behind the wall, but this is why I suggested the sockets in the first place.

Provided that you can get access to drop the Ethernet cable from the loft it does offer a tidy solution.

If you are not too happy doing it yourself, there should be a local contractor who can do it for a fair price for you.

Whilst I normally suggest Cat 5e cable, shielded Cat 5e would be better or shield Cat 6 cable would be far more future proof.

The shielded cable would protect it from outside electrical interference and run up to 1Gbit. The Cat 6 cable would support up to 10Gbit at some future date.

A reasonable 8-Port 1Gbit Network Switch can be bought for around 22-35 depending on brand and source. Network switches are simple to use, last for a long time and literally tend to be connect & go. Modern ones tend to generate very little heat, but for safety I would still ensure that it is well ventilated.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I appreciate your reluctance to make some holes and run some cables behind the wall, but this is why I suggested the sockets in the first place.

Provided that you can get access to drop the Ethernet cable from the loft it does offer a tidy solution.

If you are not too happy doing it yourself, there should be a local contractor who can do it for a fair price for you.

Whilst I normally suggest Cat 5e cable, shielded Cat 5e would be better or shield Cat 6 cable would be far more future proof.

The shielded cable would protect it from outside electrical interference and run up to 1Gbit. The Cat 6 cable would support up to 10Gbit at some future date.

A reasonable 8-Port 1Gbit Network Switch can be bought for around 22-35 depending on brand and source. Network switches are simple to use, last for a long time and literally tend to be connect & go. Modern ones tend to generate very little heat, but for safety I would still ensure that it is well ventilated.
      thanks for your reply.

Im not worried about doing a bit of cabling but this house is a new build and the walls are bricked downstairs and full of insulation upstairs. My router is downstairs in the study and you mention the loft. I'm a little lost. How do I get the cable to the loft. I don't want to run the cable outside. The house a fortune and certainly don't want to have ugly cables on show

bigsyd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

It could be a pressure fault that has developed over time on a circuit, I have been to god knows how many new builds that have developed faults over time
      This may sound strange but it may not be the socket circuit that is at fault that is causing the home plugs not to work
      With it being a new build it should be a split load diss board and you MAY have a N-E fault on your lighting that could effect your skts
      This is all guess work but if it all worked ok and then you have tried new home plugs and still no joy my next check would be the wiring
      Have you had any led/ lo voltage lighting fitted as they can cause harmonics on the mains
      Only way to eliminate that the wiring is ok is to have it tested with an insulation tester not a lo ohm meter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast