Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Replacing Sky F@st Router

This is a discussion on Replacing Sky F@st Router within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; In view of the 'cold' spots in the home wifi, and the fact the wife's iPad had great difficulty in ...

CeeJayDee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Winton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Replacing Sky F@st Router

In view of the 'cold' spots in the home wifi, and the fact the wife's iPad had great difficulty in getting a stable connection if being used upstairs, whereas the router is the hallway, I was hoping to replace my ageing Sky Sagem F@st2504 router with a Netgear N300 Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router (DGN2200v3). Having followed all the instructions about getting the username and password from the Sagem, I connected the Netgear and went through the installation process. All seemed OK, but unfortunately although I seem to be 'connected' the Negear wont actually connect to the internet. I am wondering if the fact that the network type is MER and not PPPofA is the reason for there being no connection. If this is so, and perhaps someone might confirm or deny, is there any way to get round this. Looks like I might have to return the Netgear and admit to wifey that I dont know everything

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Replacing Sky F@st Router

If you could log onto the Sagem 2504 and click the 'Maintenance' link it should tell you if your line is PPPoA or MER.

If it shows as MER then it may be locked on MER only or may support both MER and PPPoA.

Check through the settings of the DGN2200v2. Ensure that it is correctly set up correctly:

ADSL2+
      VPI/VCI = 0/38
      Multiplexing = VC-Mux

Another common issue is with the login details. From previous experience it is best to copy and paste everything through Notepad. Too many people have had the odd typo and gotten unusable results. Also it is a good idea to save the results from Notepad should you require them at a later date.

Also remember that when you use the password generator to put in the correct details.

Sky router password generator

LAN MAC address
      Default WPA network key (i.e. the wireless key written underneath the router)

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

CeeJayDee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Winton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      If you could log onto the Sagem 2504 and click the 'Maintenance' link it should tell you if your line is PPPoA or MER.

If it shows as MER then it may be locked on MER only or may support both MER and PPPoA.

Check through the settings of the DGN2200v2. Ensure that it is correctly set up correctly:

ADSL2+
      VPI/VCI = 0/38
      Multiplexing = VC-Mux

Another common issue is with the login details. From previous experience it is best to copy and paste everything through Notepad. Too many people have had the odd typo and gotten unusable results. Also it is a good idea to save the results from Notepad should you require them at a later date.

Also remember that when you use the password generator to put in the correct details.

Sky router password generator

LAN MAC address
      Default WPA network key (i.e. the wireless key written underneath the router)

Thanks for replying.

Yep, did everything you say. Shows Sagem show MER only. On that basis, and internet research which infers there's nothing I can do, took the Netgear back and got a refund. Now waiting for a Sky Hub to see if that works better.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

If the Sky Hub SR101 doesn't cover the dead-spot, give serious consideration to a WiFi Extender and connect it to the Hub using a long Ethernet cable.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms