Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wifi Speeds dropped in last 2 days

This is a discussion on Wifi Speeds dropped in last 2 days within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Up until 2 days ago, my Wifi speed from my Sky hub SR101 were 1.5-2.0Mbps, Now the wireless speed has ...

Muldy29 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ROADE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Wifi Speeds dropped in last 2 days

Up until 2 days ago, my Wifi speed from my Sky hub SR101 were 1.5-2.0Mbps, Now the wireless speed has dropped to 0.16Mbps.
      Have tried this on 3 different devices, an iPhone 5, a 4S and a PC connected by wireless dongle, the speed on the Cat5 connected PC is full 3Mbps.
      Even placing the iPhone 5 next to the hub and running a speed test is extremely slow.
      Tried everything i can think of including forgetting the network and rediscovering, changing the wireless channel to a less congested one (found with InSSIDer)
      Only thing i haven't tried is power-cycling the Hub and don't want to do that as it will drop my connection speed for a few days. Should i just phone Sky and get a new hub?

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Wifi Speeds dropped in last 2 days

As this was an abrupt change it signifies an abrupt cause. Have you introduced any new electrical equipment of any type anywhere in your home? Have you repositioned anything (such as a DECT phone). Has a close neighbour done anything? WiFi is so open to interference from so many sources - often not within your control.

However I would power cycle the hub as a first step, otherwise you may be trying solutions on a system that isn't working properly in the first place. I know you don't want to but I suggest you do!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      As this was an abrupt change it signifies an abrupt cause. Have you introduced any new electrical equipment of any type anywhere in your home? Have you repositioned anything (such as a DECT phone). Has a close neighbour done anything? WiFi is so open to interference from so many sources - often not within your control.

However I would power cycle the hub as a first step, otherwise you may be trying solutions on a system that isn't working properly in the first place. I know you don't want to but I suggest you do!
      Nope nothing new in the house, afaik, nothing new in neighbours houses either
      I power cycled the Hub last night as instructed by a Sky tech chat, speed has picked up this morning to 0.8Mbps, but having a 3Mbps connection, this is still a bit slow, Will it be better to ask for a replacement hub or just get a cable router and bridge the connection and get a dual band wireless signal?

Thanks

Just an update on this, still really slow on wifi, Download is at .48Mbps while upload is .68Mbps, when i spoke to Sky's chat advisor, he said to contact them again and they would do a line Test, That wont show anything as the line is fine, its just the wifi??

On the Wired PC the speed is showing as 2.59Mbps

Having power cycled the HUB to get the username and password via wireshark, the wifi speed is back up to normal, will see how it goes
      Last edited by Muldy29; 09-05-13 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Added more info