Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TP-Link TL-WPA271 Powerplugs

This is a discussion on TP-Link TL-WPA271 Powerplugs within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I recently bought a set of TP-Link WPA271 Powerplugs with the hope of extending the wifi range of my Sagem ...

fleejay is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01480
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

TP-Link TL-WPA271 Powerplugs

I recently bought a set of TP-Link WPA271 Powerplugs with the hope of extending the wifi range of my Sagem Sky modem/router. I plugged them both in and paired them successfully but when I went to connect to the TPLINK SSID via wifi, my laptop reported that I had limited or no connectivity and the only web page that I could access was the setup page for the powerplug.

When connected through this SSID, both the laptop and the powerplug were on a 169.254.x.x IP addresses which I understand means that they did not get one from the DHCP server correctly. I tried changing this from the setup webpage but when the device reset, it always went back to a 169.254.x.x ip address.

I'm currently on my second set of these powerplugs as I exchanged the first one wondering if they were faulty, but I saw the same issue with both sets.

Any help greatly appreciated!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: TP-Link TL-WPA271 Powerplugs

You did plug the sender unit into the router using an ethernet cable?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Lol, yes I did plug the sender unit in to the router! Although I'm wondering if there is an issue with the ethernet ports on the router as I've been unable to get on to the net from my laptop when connected through them. I first thought that it was a fault with my laptop but I guess it could be the router? I'll try plugging my xbox into them later.

Is there anyway to disable the ethernet ports on the router through the 192.168.0.1 web access? (that I might have accidentally clicked on when tinkering?)

Thanks

There is no way to disable them, but if they are faulty, that woud explain why your plugs are not working.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for your help Isitme.

Assuming that it is the modem/router that's playing up, how keen are Sky to give dish out new ones? (based also on the fact that the T&Cs say that we have to use this particular one!)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fleejay View Post
      Thanks for your help Isitme.

Assuming that it is the modem/router that's playing up, how keen are Sky to give dish out new ones? (based also on the fact that the T&Cs say that we have to use this particular one!)
      Not keen at all.

Some have managed to blag a free replacement, but the majority are told they have to pay for a replacement. Those who have got a free one have gone down the 'replace it or I will leave' route, but this does not always work and more often than not you are told, just do that. The cost of the latest Sky router is around 70.

Although it is in the T & Cs, there is no record of anyone being penalized for using their own router, in fact many on the forum do. The choice of paying Sky for one or buying your own is yours. Provided your WAN Status is shown as PPPoA, there is no problem in using another ADSL router.

Have you checked that it is the router that is at fault? What happens when you disable the wireless on your laptop and connect it with an ethernet cable? This is probably the easiest way to check if one or more ports are faulty.

TomD

Useful Utilites

sikknote is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Hi guys,

I had this problem, and seemingly somehow I've resolved it, so I thought I'd share my experience.

Basically my setup (same as OP) was fine, until one night it magically stopped working - no gateway on the connection, 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP, etc. Tried rebooting all devices, no joy.

This morning I've
      a) swapped out the wireless repeater bit (went and bought a new one to try it out)
      b) manually told it what IP to ask for (192.168.0.200, in this instance)
      c) changed the ethernet port the 'sender' bit is connected to
      d) manually set DNS as 8.8.8.8

..and now it works. Unfortunately I did the last three in a hurried batch so I can't positively identify which solved the issue, but I am actually leaning towards the manual IP on the wifi repeater.

Not sure if that helps. Hope you got your issue sorted eventually!

*edit - should add that simply swapping out the wireless repeater didn't fix the problem instantly - had the same issues even with the new one.

doozer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Can I add my ten pence to this discussion.I have a similar set up and my tp's provided internet connections to my sky box. My "On Demand" went South. Sky web site fault finding ,online chat and finally phone support did not resolve the issue.I plugged in my laptop to where the sky box would usually be, switched off the wireless on the laptop and could not get a connection. Took the laptop to the router direct still no connection so let the laptop do the network diagnostics which "Reset" the "Wired" adapter and up it came, this was laptop to router direct. Took the laptop back to the sky box connection which uses the tp's , no connection.Grabbed both the tp's put them in a four way extension plug and got them to sync up again. Took tp and the laptop back down stairs to the Sky box and eventually got a connection again.
      I guess the bottom line with the TP's is flashing lights do not always indicate a good connection and this is the first time in a year or two mine have "Lost their way"! If you are fortunate enough to have another pc and can log into the sky router and display "Attached Devices" that can indicate when you are getting somewhere. (Or not)!
      As a by the by a few days back on my Sky account I noticed they were "Assessing" my broadband connection and it should settle down in ten days, I hadn't changed anything and when I queried this with one of the Sky opps apparently Sky are doing this with a number of connections???

Steve2685 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagemcom
      Thanks

Arrow Re: TP-Link TL-WPA271 Powerplugs

Quote Originally Posted by fleejay View Post
      I recently bought a set of TP-Link WPA271 Powerplugs with the hope of extending the wifi range of my Sagem Sky modem/router. I plugged them both in and paired them successfully but when I went to connect to the TPLINK SSID via wifi, my laptop reported that I had limited or no connectivity and the only web page that I could access was the setup page for the powerplug.

When connected through this SSID, both the laptop and the powerplug were on a 169.254.x.x IP addresses which I understand means that they did not get one from the DHCP server correctly. I tried changing this from the setup webpage but when the device reset, it always went back to a 169.254.x.x ip address.

I'm currently on my second set of these powerplugs as I exchanged the first one wondering if they were faulty, but I saw the same issue with both sets.

Any help greatly appreciated!
      Ok im using TP-Link AV200 Nano Power Adapter first off i hop i got the right device for wot i wish to do which is link a sony Blu-ray DVD player to the internet but my sky router is in another room that is why i got the devices so 1 goes into a non serge protected plug via a network cable into the back of the DVD player & the 2nd one goes upstairs nxt to my PC same way but into my Sky Router.

I went back to the sony dvd player n asked it to auto detect but it came up with Wired: ok Internet connection: failed

On my descktop PC i only have 1 network port which already goes to the Sky router (my PC has no wireless connection)

Any ideas would b great ty

Steve2685 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagemcom
      Thanks

& sorry for doulble post but i wounder if a hub would help u know for my sky router connection & for the either net connection to my PC would work??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast